metal roof buckling

Old 09-25-12, 06:59 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
metal roof buckling

we had a standing rib metal roof installed Dec. 2011. I noticed over the summer loud "popping & buckling" sounds coming from the roof in the heat. Now the ridge vent has a buckled area almost in the center & i have noticed 2 of the panels (same location-almost the middle) are also a little buckled. Our roofer came & tapped the panels down with a rubber mallet & has attempted to straighten the ridge vent cap. My question is, what causes this & will it happen again next year when the roof is subject to the summer heat? Is there any thing we can do to prevent this problem in the future? My roofer has conveniently decided not to return my calls to answer these problems.....

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-12, 08:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 641 Votes on 593 Posts
I've done very little metal roof work (I mean VERY little) but those roofs do need to be able to expand and contract. So you don't put a bunch of fasteners in them, since the panels need to be able to slide a little. I think that there is supposed to be an interlocking hook and hem on the bottom leading edge of each panel that should prevent the piece from migrating upwards. But don't quote me.

Old 10-05-12, 07:22 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'm currently getting quotes on metal roofing so I'm learning alot in the process. The buckling you describe is called "oil-canning" and is caused by the panels being fastened down tight to the roof deck. Like with vinyl siding the roof panels "hang" on the nails or screws. If your roof system uses clips the panels should be free to move on the clips. I'm betting you have a clipless roof where one edge has a nail hem with slotted holes and the opposite edge snaps over the standing seam on the previous panel. If your installer set the nails in those slots or (horror) used an air nailer you will have to live with the oil-canning. He's not returning calls because the fix is to remove the roof & start over.