Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

I think my decking needs to be replaced and I am broke need some advice

I think my decking needs to be replaced and I am broke need some advice

Old 09-29-12, 11:22 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question I think my decking needs to be replaced and I am broke need some advice

Hi all, this is my first post so please bare with me. We bought our house in 2006. At the time the inspector said the roof had about 3 years of life left in it. Needless to say I have doubled that. We started getting a leak when it rained. My husband and I climbed up on the roof today and it was a piece of metal flashing that was pulled up. We put sealant under it, nailed it back down and sealed over the nails. This is definitely a very temporary fix. Walking across the roof there are multiple soft spots on the roof. We absolutely cannot afford to have someone come and replace the roof with decking. So I have multiple questions:
  1. Would it be completely insane to do it ourselves?
  2. What would my approximate cost be if we did it ourselves for a 23 square roof replacing the decking and shingles?
  3. What thickness should we use on the decking and would it be plywood?
  4. What is a good inexpensive shingle to use that will withstand a hurricane prone area?
  5. What (other than just messing up the job) should I be prepared for when removing the decking? i.e. what other potential disasters underneath might be waiting for me?

Thank you so much for your time and I really hope ya'll can help us out. I am nervous about the idea of doing it ourselves but we do not have 5-7k to get it done.

Sherry

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-12, 12:44 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I stay away from roofing jobs myself but if you want to do it yourself, at least hire a couple of day workers. Many of them already have experience, with roofing. It would also be wise to get a nail gun. If the rest of the shingles are in really bad shape, it won't be easy to install just a portion of new shingles since the old shingles have to be lifted to nail underneath them. They will just break at that point. I imagine that OSB plywood is used but someone else can confirm that.

Old 09-30-12, 04:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
What Pulpo said about the day laborers is spot on. I would use 5/8" OSB decking, and start fresh with it all. The other "gotchas" will be rotted roof rafters or areas around soffits and chimneys where the framing will have suffered water damage. Be sure to use flashing around anything like chimneys. Replace all your plumbing boots as you go. Use drip edge all around to help with capillary movement of water and to support the roofing.
I don't get on roofs anymore, either.

Old 09-30-12, 08:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 205 Votes on 182 Posts
First off, I suggest getting 2-3 bids for the job to see where you stand. DO NOT pay for a bid. Bids should be free. Be sure to have then walk the roof and point out the soft spots so they know some re-decking will be needed and you will get some "real" numbers.

Then go to your home center and see what the material will cost. Be sure to include shingles, tar paper, nails, flashing, staples, drip edge, 5/8" OSB and ice and water shield, if you use it in the south. Most places will have a desk that can help you figure out a material cost. You will also need to include the cost of a dumpster which is about $300 in my area. You can then see how much you will be saving in labor.

You might find that the labor costs is only $1000. Roofing is very hard, heavy work. Roofers can re-roof a house in about a day. You two alone it will take about a week or less if you can get some friends. (Which may be former friends after the roof )

Lastly, while it is not hard to put a shingle down and nail it , if you do get off when laying them out, it will look funny for about 20 years.

AFAIK - in high wind locations they install 6 nails per shingle instead of 4. Their may be more to it but I am not a roofer.

Old 09-30-12, 09:01 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I still get up on roofs but there's usually years between trips and I'm there for only a few minutes.

Yes, you can do this yourself but I would not.

Old 09-30-12, 09:12 AM
W
+1 to other replies. Roofing is not a task I would wish on my worst enemy. I redid my shed a couple of years ago. I am not a roofer, but I'm also not a noob to the construction industry in general. I thought it looked good when my wife and I finished. We were pretty proud of ourselves.

It's leaked ever since in several spots, new osb ply we replaced under new shingles we installed is already consistency of porridge. I will never attempt roofing again and don't even want to try and fix the screw ups we caused.

Old 09-30-12, 06:36 PM
S
I am not a roofer either but I did re-roof my house so here is my take for what it is worth:
I would use plywood and not OSB. OSB does not like moisture and a good exterior grade plywood will hold up much better.
Are you sure the soft spots are just deck and not rafter issues?
thickness of new deck can not be confirmed without knowing the spacing of the rafters or trusses. (at 16" O.C. 5/8" is probably okay at 24"O.C. not so much)
If you have a simple roof layout and want to save the cost of removal you could possibly look at a metal roof on nailers run perpendicular of the rafters. This would be much more expensive (especially in hurricane country) but there would be no dumpster expense, no tear-off, no risk of getting water damage during the tear-off, etc.
If you do shingle do not use staples in the shingles, they will tear off to easily. I would also avoid a nail gun for your shingles if you are a novice. It is to easy to over or under drive the nails if you do not have the experience. that does make for a lot more work but easier and gone in the first storm is not a good thing.