Flaired skylight shaft; can the curb also flair?

Old 10-03-12, 08:46 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Flaired skylight shaft; can the curb also flair?

Hi all. I am installing a skylight through a low cathedral ceiling. We intend to construct a 2x6 curb on a low slope roof (the slope is 2 3/4 in 12"). Ceiling joists are 2x8. No attic space.

For aesthetic purposes, would it be possible to flair the bottom 2x6 of the curb at an angle consistent with the flaired bottom header (between the ceiling joists)? The interior appearance would thus be of a consistent flair from glass to finished ceiling (plumb with the exterior wall). I am not sure if the Velux fixed curb mount would sit appropriately on this modification.

Thanks,

Hal

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-12, 02:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Depending on how much space there is between the skylight and the finished ceiling, you possibly could. If you only have the 2x6, I would not recommend it. The curb cannot flare. Only what is below it. In fact, in Toronto, with only a <3:12 pitch roof, I would not recommend punching a large hole in an otherwise non leaking roof. Your snow load will overpower the window's ability to keep out the melting water, IMO. Rule #2...skylights always leak.

Old 10-04-12, 09:01 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Chandler. Thanks for your advice. There are lots of skylights in our neighbourhood (most mounted on 2x4 curbs; some deck mounted). I haven't heard neighbours complaining of leaking; but perhaps we haven't had a sufficient snowfall here over the past 3 years to bring out the complaints; or perhaps the leak goes unnoticed. My assumption is that if properly installed (I have a good roofer here to assist with the external component of the project) the skylight won't leak; though I am aware that with time all roof components/opennings will fail. Will keep your warning in mind.

Best from Toronto,

Hal

Old 10-04-12, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
My advice....buy a quality brand designed for your roof and install it EXACTLY the way the instructions tell you to. Use the manufacturers flashing kits whenever they are available. Mechanical flashing systems are far superior to any caulk or roofing tar applied during or after installation.

My first choice would be Velux, 2nd choice would probably be Velux, and my 3rd choice....well you get the idea.

Oh....and no plastic!