Does contractor affect warranty?

Old 10-04-12, 06:34 PM
D
DLH
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Does contractor affect warranty?

I've gotten 4 estimates for shingles. The contractor with the lowest estimate would install Owen Corning Oakridge shingles with a lifetime warranty I looked on the Owens Corning website for recommended contractors and he wasn’t listed. I question the contractor and he said that it was just an added expense to register with the manufacture and that he was going to install the shingles according to the manufacture’s requirements. My worry is will there still be a full warranty?

DLH

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-12, 08:05 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
I suggest that you read that "lifetime" warranty VERY carefully. Usually there are so many hoops you need to jump through, and so many loopholes the manufacturer may hide in, that the end result is that ANY return you get from the manufacturer via claim against the warranty will be minimal. Depending on just where you live and what routine service you do to your roof expect that "Lifetime" will be around thirty years at best.

Old 10-05-12, 03:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I agree with Furd. "Lifetime" is whose lifetime you are measuring. Manufacturers will only pay a prorated share of the claim anyway, even if it is a lifetime warranty. Make sure your contractor installs the shingles as specified by the manufacturer. Mine specified 5 nails per shingle, so wifey would listen for five hits all day long. She is like that. I trusted my installer, so I wasn't very worried that they would not carry out her wishes. You will see certain "gotchas" in the warranty, such as not using staples for installation, using their approved starter courses and ridges. If you get 30 years, that's good.

Old 10-05-12, 08:15 PM
D
DLH
I know the value of a warranty. The reason I'm replacing the roof is because 12 years ago I installed Certainteed shingles myself. The shingles on the south side have lost almost all their sand and you would have to see them to believe how curled they are. My settlement with Certainteed came to less than $475.

I'm having a hard time making up my mind about the contractor with the lowest bid. He's the lowest by about $800 and it makes me wonder about the quality of his work. Also when I asked about doing something different, like an upgrade in the guality of the shingles, he didn't seem like he wanted to be bothered in redoing the estimate.

Just curious. Why are staples not as good as nails?

DLH

Old 10-06-12, 12:19 AM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
Staples are inferior to nails because there is far less area (nail head) holding the shingle from being torn off the roof.

Be wary of the lowest bid. I had my choice of two very well rated roofing companies and I went with the higher bid because I just had a gut feeling about the other guy. There wasn't but a few hundred dollars difference, if that, between these two bids but the third bid was close to a thousand dollars lower.

Old 10-07-12, 08:39 AM
D
DLH
If an estimate states what materials are to be used and they are quality materials. And if the estimate also states how the materials are to be applied, such as sealing around vents, etc, what else can a contractor do to mess up the job?

BTW The estimate states that roofing nails are to be used.

DLH

Old 10-07-12, 09:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
There are so many things that need to be spelled out JUST to make sure there are no questions as he rides off into the sunset with your check. Tear off, disposal, chimney flashing, step flashing, ridge vents, plumbing boots, edge drip, soffit drip, number of nails per shingle, underlayment, ice barrier in the northern climates. If you spell it out and he does it right, there ain't much he can mess up. You leave something out and he doesn't do it, and it is critical, you aren't holding anything but 3's and 4's. He has the face cards.

Old 10-07-12, 10:15 AM
If most products (especially those for exteriors such as siding roofing and windows), that are warranted/guaranteed, the installation quality has a great effect of individual performance on a job by job installation.

I that situation, if the material supplier can easily claim problems blamed on the installer - either individual or contractor. If the installer is not on the supplier's "list" you will have a big fight, so get the supplier to approve the installer to make the guarantee/warranty complete.

Most failures come from poor preparation, planning or installation errors - windows are prime example because too many are installed improperly (over 2/3) by wood-butchers based on the problems I see. Roofing life and leakage is also very high on the list.

Dick

Old 10-07-12, 05:00 PM
D
DLH
I emailed Owens Corning yesterday asking them if the installer not being on their approved list had any affect on the warranty. I'm going to wait until I get an answer before I decide.

I'm not a roofer but 12 years ago I got a group of 3 friends together to do a tear off and shingle. Two of the people had experience in doing roofs. For me, it was my first time. There was nothing about doing it that I found took a lot of skill. Just common sense. I don't understand how a roofer could mess up.

BTW It was in the 90's the 2 days it took to do my roof. I dam near died. There is no way I would ever do that for a living.

DLH

Old 10-16-12, 11:02 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Old thread, but here are a few things to chew on.

Unless you are prepared to be up on the roof daily (multiple times), you have no guaranty that the guy will be doing what the contract requires. I could write a book about the number of typical shingle installation screw-ups I've seen over the years. The crooked roofers are still doing a profitable business because they know none of their customers ever leave the ground to look at the job up close while in progress (or even possess the skills to know what's right and what's wrong).

Should you have a manufacturer warranty claim, the manufacturer will always blame the product faults on the installer, so your picking the low bidder could well be a big mistake if he's not on the manufacturer's "chosen ones" list. I'd go with a bid in the middle of the pack, but even that's no guarantee that your installation will be decent.

Staples are not allowed to install asphalt shingles in the U.S. (according to Section 905 of the IRC and most state building codes), but lots of roofers like to use them. Cheaper and faster. Which is the entire name of the game.