Roll-On Coating Over Rolled Roofing

Old 10-09-12, 12:15 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Roll-On Coating Over Rolled Roofing

Greetings Gurus!

I live in the Phoenix, AZ area. My attached garage has a flat roof with almost no pitch. The current roof is the mineral-surfaced roll stuff which doesn't look that bad considering it's 25 years old. Unfortunately, looks can be deceiving and when it rains, the roof leaks like a sieve in one area. Due to my commitments and obligations currently, I'm on a very tight budget so hiring someone and/or replacing the current roof is not an option.
My question is this...
Is there a coating I can roll-on to my existing roof that will seal it - even if only temporarily - until I can afford to have it repaired properly? I've read conflicting answers to this question and am not sure how to proceed. IT seems to me that if the surface is free of all debris and granules and has been power washed, it should be possible to get good adhesion.

Thanks guys!

Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-12, 02:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I would try wet mopping tar over the surface, until you can get it properly taken care of. You can buy it at box stores. It will be messy, and I believe they recommend putting an aggregate on top of it of sorts. You'd have to read the instructions to see if it would work on your situation.

Old 10-09-12, 03:42 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
I'm not sure if it's the same thing Larry is recommending but they have a roller grade tar. As he mentioned - it is messy so wear old clothes and gloves.

Another option might be to use an elastomeric roof coating.

Old 10-09-12, 04:27 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by marksr
Another option might be to use an elastomeric roof coating.
Could you expand on this please. A few years ago, I remember a local TV commercial done by a company who was offering a roof coating system/service which was "specifically designed for flat roofs that have become damaged in the Arizona sun.... yada, yada, yada...." although I can't remember what the product was. I recall they touted the fact that it could be applied to any existing roofing surface, no matter the condition. The commercial showed a roofer spraying the stuff on with a big smile on his face, etc., etc. (It might've been the fumes from the product....? )

Anyway, thanks for the reply and any info you care to share about the product you mentioned.

Thanks!

Coach

Old 10-09-12, 04:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
I only know a little about the elastomeric roof coatings although I've applied a lot of the masonry elastomeric coatings. Basically it's a stretchable latex waterproof coating. A company I worked for 25 yrs ago used it on a new warehouse addition to their shop. We applied the coating to the bare plywood, laid down a membrane and then another coat of the elastomeric. I was skeptical but it held up well. Unless the leaks are big, I don't think you'd need the membrane.

Old 10-09-12, 12:00 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If you want to stay on the cheap side, forget about elastomeric/membrane roofing systems. Anything but cheap, at least the last time I looked into them.
And the big smile on the face of the applicator in the commercial was just the thought of how rich he was getting off of anyone willing to buy it.

Buy yourself some liquid asphalt roof coating (5-gal. buckets) from a big box place, pour and spread with a wide-bristle broom, and broadcast mineral aggregate on top while it's still sticky. You may have to go to a roofing supply place for the mineral, usually available in 80-lb. bags for less than $20 each, and often comes in several different colors. If you don't use mineral, cracks will develop and defeat the sealing intent. And don't pressure wash before applying the coating--doing so will saturate and ruin whatever is left of the existing roll roofing. Just sweep off any loose mineral and dirt with a stiff-bristle broom.