Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

Plumbing Pipe Flashing Installed Incorrectly...Please Help

Old 10-14-12, 09:20 AM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello,

Our house is 6 years old and I noticed that one of the plastic angle flashings on our roof must have been installed after the fact, and was not even under the shingles. It was simply slid down over the vent pipe and sitting on top of the shingles. I noticed in the attic that the insulation around the pipe had gotten wet from previous storms but was now dry. It looked like only a little bit of water had entered the attic.

As a very novice DIY, I used roofing cement/tar and put a generous amount around the underside of the flashing and firmly pushed on the shingles. I then put a bead along the top edge of the flashing. Will this be enough to prevent future leaks? Please let me know if you have ideas or suggestions.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-12, 09:23 AM
U
Old 10-14-12, 09:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Not really. The upper 1/2 or so of the flashing should be under the shingles. The lower half must lay over the shingles, so as to give it a "sheeting" effect when water hits it. Your fix may last a year, but heat, sunlight, cold will all take its toll on the compounds you used. You may want to post a picture of your flashing so we can offer better suggestions. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 10-14-12, 10:48 AM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
Old 10-14-12, 11:08 AM
U
Thanks for the feedback. The roof is a 6/10 pitch with architectural asphalt shingles. Would it be possible to pry the sealed edge of the shingles where the flashing should be under, and slide it under then tar/cement the edges?

Old 10-14-12, 02:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 642 Votes on 594 Posts
Not really. You will probably have to actually remove the shingle that will be above and around the top half. I don't think it will bend enough to do what you need to do. But if you can just remove that one shingle by pulling all the nails in it, and slide it out, it will make it a lot easier. You will then cut that shingle out around the boot flashing and put it back down, using roofing cement to fill the old holes.

The other way you could do it is to actually cut the vent pipe inside the attic and remove it. Then install the roof boot... it would then slip up under the shingles without needing to lift them much... you would cut out the shingle in a semi-circle so that it slides up higher... then shove the pipe back down and install a coupler to reconnect the two pieces.

A properly installed roof boot doesn't need much tar, if any.

Old 10-14-12, 05:05 PM
U
I went and looked and the shingle that would cover the top half is actually in perfect position. If I was to pry and break the adhesive strip along the bottom edge of the shingle and slide the flashing under, it would cover the top half. There would not have to be any cutting or bending the shingle. I'm not sure if its a good idea to pry and break the adhesive strip or if I should have a pro come fix it. Any suggestions?

Old 10-14-12, 05:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 642 Votes on 594 Posts
You do realize that the pipe boot has to slide over the pipe AND under the shingles at the same time, right? There is GOING to have to be some bending to get it in. And yes, you have to pop the adhesive loose to do this.

But if you turn the boot sideways (90 from it's installed position), and slide it down the pipe until it meets the roof, you won't have to bend the shingle "as much" to get it under the shingle. Once it's under, rotate the boot 90 to it's installed position and then cut that overlapping shingle up and around it. There IS cutting involved. Or maybe it would help you to go to YouTube and watch a video on how it's done if I'm not explaining it good enough.

IMO you will still be better off if you remove the shingle. When you bend a shingle up like you will be doing you are risking tearing it, pulling it off the nails and making even larger holes in the shingle, etc.

If you're not comfortable with it, then yes, call a professional. We don't want anybody sliding off a roof and getting hurt. As the bundles of shingles say, "Roofing is inherently dangerous activity." LOL