Gutters not working - do it myself or hire contractor?

Old 10-17-12, 08:11 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Gutters not working - do it myself or hire contractor?

The section of gutter along the back of my house is not draining off water properly. A couple of years ago, a storm knocked my big market umbrella smack into the gutter. We (my boyfriend) have tried to straighten it, but I noticed the last time that it rained hard, it was still just a waterfall onto the deck at that section. I am now having moisture issues at the back of my crawlspace, and I think that this gutter problem has contributed to it, if not caused it. I just did not realize how bad it was.

I have no experience with gutters, and though I am fairly strong and usually able to figure things out, if the cost is not unreasonable, I would rather have a professional handle such things. (I get tired of asking my BF to fix things, so I am not going there with this .) So, just looking for your opinion here...is replacing a gutter something that I could do, in a reasonable time frame - say , a couple of hours or so...and do it properly? Would I have to replace the entire backside of the gutters? Do I need to match the type of gutter? The house was built in 1994, so these are not fancy, and not covered gutters...just the standard metal (maybe aluminum - I'm not sure) gutters. If I hired someone to do this - do they typically replace just a small section, and what should I expect this to cost?

Thanks so much for your advice.

Last edited by yardnut; 10-17-12 at 10:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-12, 08:19 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Hard to say without being there - are you able to figure out why the gutter is not working properly? In other words, can you find the problem so we can help you fix it or is the problem not apparent, just the symptom of the gutter not working properly?

If the latter, I'd be more inclined to replace.

Old 10-17-12, 10:25 AM
The gutter has a dent in it...think of taking a large piece of wood and wacking a metal gutter from above. So it dips down at bit at that point, and the water doesn't run towards either end of the house - it just overruns the gutter at that area. I'll try and take a picture tonight to make it clearer.

I agree that replacing is the right thing to do...but do you replace the entire length? Or just one section...is this something that a total "gutter-newb" could figure out? Is it an expensive repair to hire someone to do this? Or do such companies do small repairs/replacements like this?

Oh, and I just noticed that I posted about this last year, well almost 2 years ago...so this has been a problem for a while - guess I have lost track of the time!! The recommended solution then was to try and straighten it out, so that was what we did, but it just hasn't worked.

Old 10-18-12, 07:07 AM
....................................Anyone?

Old 10-18-12, 08:02 AM
S
Group Moderator
Hard to say without seeing it in person but if attempts to fix the gutter have failed, replacement is in order. I like seamless gutters, so my thought is to replace the whole thing, not just this piece of it.

Old 10-18-12, 10:14 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would assume that the biggest problem is not the dent but rather that the pitch of the gutter has been changed by the damage. What was once the high point of the gutter is now the low point?

If this is the case the other option you may have is install an additional downspout in this location (or very close to it) so the water does not overflow the gutter anymore. Depending on where this is it might be possible to do this and then you could extend the new downspout out away from the house to avoid the water problem in the crawlspace. Of course if the new low point is directly in front of the patio door then this may not be an option.

Old 10-18-12, 10:45 AM
Installing another downspot would not be an option here. So, I need to replace then.

So back to my question. Is this something that requires a lot of know-how, or is it better to hire an installer do do such work, or do they even do small jobs like this? (I am asking because I have had window people come and when I tell them I am only interested in replacing a couple of windows, they roll their eyes and leave.) Any estimates as to cost?

Old 10-18-12, 11:03 AM
S
Group Moderator
I wouldn't DIY if this was longer than the longest piece of gutter you could buy at the home center, as I don't like joints between pieces of gutter.

You should be able to get a contractor to replace one gutter for you but I can't give you much help on cost; best bet is to get three or more bids on the job so you can compare.