Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

water just poured through the seal of my Andersen picture window then stopped

Old 10-19-12, 10:47 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

It hasn't dripped since (1hr later), just started then stopped. We've gotten about 2.5" of rain in last 12 hours here in CT. Almost a year to the date that my father-in-law "installed" this window. He assured me that we had nothing to worry about and seemed to have covered all the bases when it came to waterproofing it. Silicone seal, tar tape seal etc. The water didn't come through the spot where the window meets the wood but through a seal where the window meets the plastic casement. I took my ladder and looked for some kind of sign pointing to a problem but there was none. The hood over the window was dry, the gutter was draining etc, no water pooled above the window. How can I begin to troubleshoot this problem without taking the window out and replacing it? I can't even begin to fathom what kind of headache this is going to be... Where do I start?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-12, 02:22 PM
J
checking on it again, I noticed that some water is channeling behind the gutter and dripping down to the molding, would it be prudent to seal the spot where the molding meets the cedar shingles?

Old 10-19-12, 02:38 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Yes but the real solution is to stop the water from channeling behind the gutter in the first place.

Old 10-19-12, 06:10 PM
J
it seems to be hugging the asphalt shingle and getting behind the gutter. There is a 1/4 to 1/2" gap behind it. It may have pulled away from the house last winter when there was a sizable ice dam there for a week. Is there any way to bend it back to form to the house or does it need to be replaced?

Old 10-20-12, 09:00 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
You may be able to bend it back but metal stretches when it bends, so it may not go back well enough and you would then likely end up replacing it anyway.

Old 10-20-12, 11:41 AM
J
Mitch thanks for the advice, I went around the entire house and noticed that the drip edges were basically pushed flush with the side of the house. This probably happened two years ago when we had a ton of snow and I had ice dams over my gutters for weeks. I pried them back - which took a ton of energy, and made sure that they were all over the gutter edges. The one where the leak started had a gutter that had been pushed away from the house so I took a screw and screwed it back in to make it flush. Hopefully this will solve the problem but I assume any other ice dam will cause them to fail again. Seems to me the proper way to install these drip edges would be to either make them of stronger metal so they didn't bend so easily or make them longer so if they do get bent toward the house they at least end up flush into the gutter not behind it.

One other question, assuming this was the problem, is that all I need to do or do I need to do some kind of repair to the window seal? I can't understand how that water got behind it, my father in law nailed in every hole in the gasket, had silicone behind it and above it. put that tar tape all around it etc. Water is absolutely insidious!

Old 10-21-12, 11:09 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
You are correct in that Anderson picture windows have a seal that goes around them. I installed three and had seal issues with all of them. I had an Anderson rep come out and repair. What he did was remove the inside wood trim. Once opened, you will see the retaining clips that hold the glass section to the frame. He removed the staple that held the glass section, grabbed it with a pliers and pulled the glass inward to make a tighter seal with the frame. It's sort of like the seal on your front door with the actual door being the glass. if you pull on the door handle it causes the seal to compress. Its the same thing that you would do to the window.

I believe Anderson has a 25 year warranty on its products. It is an assembly problem and has nothing to do with your installation. I had Anderson do the repairs as I did not want to be responsible should something have gone wrong. The windows were very pricey to begin with and even though I have insurance, there wasn't enough profit to pay for a replacement window. Your discovering it now because of the issues at the gutters.