Ridge Vent Question

Old 11-12-12, 07:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Ridge Vent Question

While doing some work in my attic I notice at the peak the ridge vent opening is only 1 1/2 " if that. The roof is truss construction. Just thought that it should be wider ,somewhere around 3-4 ". Anyone out there have any input ? The home is 15 years old and am planning a new roof in the next 2 years . Thanks in advance for any info .

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-12, 04:15 AM
Received 33 Votes on 30 Posts
Estimate the area of open space provided by that 1.5" gap, 0.125 ft x length in feet. Reduce that by the ridge vent mfg's net area % (say 50%) to tell you how much high vent is being provided. Your total vent area should be 1 ft² for every 300 ft² of attic floor. Double that is the house ceiling to attic has not specifically been air sealed. Your final number is total vent area which is generally half high and half low.

The air sealing I mentioned above not only reduces the required vent area, but reduces your heat loss. It is #1 on the list of improvements. Look around your plumbing vents, electrical boxes, and check your recessed lights to see if they are air tight IC rated. That will give you an idea as to how well sealed the sttic floor is.

Bud