Roof replacement Question

Old 11-26-12, 09:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Roof replacement Question

Hello, I have an old roof that needs to be replace. It already has 2 layers of shingles. I also notice in the attic, I see 1x2 strips of wood across the rafters. When they rip the roof do they remove this or fasten the 5/8" CDX plywood to the strips? This will be my first time in dealing with a rip. I like to know before I start getting estimates. Any info would be great. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-12, 10:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 59 Posts
Depends on their condition - decking is not an automatic replacement item.

Have them explain to your satisfaction why it needs to be replaced if they include it in the estimate.

Old 11-26-12, 10:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 151 Posts
What is the spacing on these 1x2s?

Old 11-26-12, 06:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 303 Votes on 276 Posts
And when you say 1x2's.... did they already lay 1x2's in between the larger pieces of 1x6 or 1x8 roof sheathing? If the 1x2's are laid in the spaces between the 1x6 or 1x8, the roof may already be sheathed with plywood.

You could go to the roof edge and pry up your metal roof edging and have a look at what's already there. Hard for us to say when we can't see what you see.

Old 11-26-12, 07:51 PM
Is is safe to assume that you mean you need new shingles and that you don't know if the roof underneath the singles needs replacing?

Old 11-26-12, 07:56 PM
Hello,

There is no plywood sheathing on the roof. It is original cedar shingles on top of the 1 x 2 strip of wood across the rafters. The spacing in between the strips are about 3.5in and most of them are in good shape. The rafters are about 24in apart.

Please be aware some of the top shingles are already coming off. We recently got hit by a storm and I needed to place a tarp over the damage area of the roof. The house is 100 years old.

Old 11-26-12, 08:14 PM
Group Moderator
Huh. That's a little different than the way cedar shingled roofs were done out here in the midwest. But nonetheless I think they would leave the 1x2's and lay your new 5/8 plywood right over the top of them. If a horizontal seam falls over a void, they might lay a 1x4 in the 3.5" gap or they might not.

Old 11-28-12, 04:57 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
New Roof

I guess we need to know which type of roof - cedar shingles or composite shingles?

Old 11-28-12, 05:57 AM
Group Moderator
The way it sounds to me... 2 layers of shingles... cedar, then composite shingles on top of that.

Old 11-28-12, 07:57 AM
Correct, that is what I have Xsleeper.

I already spoke to 4 roofers. They all said the same thing. As long the strips are in good condition, they rip up to the 1x2 and place the plywood on top. One roofer wanted to use 1/2 plywood and was double the cost over the others. I guess he doesn't want to do the roof. It is a tough roof to do. However, I do want the 5/8in plywood.

The other problem I am facing, the house is due for vinyl siding as well. The roofers said they can do the siding afterward and use flashing where ever the roof meets vertical ends of the house. I would like to do everything at the same time, but it's too much at once. Right now the roof is more important to do. The cedar shingles on the side of the house are in decent shape and will last till the spring.

Old 11-28-12, 08:56 AM
Received 33 Votes on 30 Posts
Hi Donek,
I have frequently run into homes where they want to add extra rigid insulation under their new vinyl siding, but have no or limited gable/soffit overhang. In the spirit of planning ahead, if you need more attic ventilation or desire some exterior insulation, NOW is the time to make plans.

Once they tear off that old roof it isn't that difficult to extend either gables or soffits. And adding a ridge vent is easy.

FYI
Bud

Old 11-28-12, 10:32 AM
Hello Bud, thanks for the info on the ventilation.

I definitely need to research the vinyl siding and ask questions about this. I am sure they rip off the old sheathing underneath the cedar shingles too. I have 3/4 black sheathing. Do they replace the old sheathing with 1/2 plywood? I see different homes with different types of overlay insulation. Very confusion which is the best to use.