Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

Attic Insulation touching roof towards outside of house Ok?

Old 12-05-12, 11:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi,
My question is would it be ok for blown cellulose to touch the roof towards the outside slope for the first foot ?

I am going to be adding cellulose insulation in the attic(Michigan) over the existing r19 fiberglass. The house has a shallow hip roof elevation. There is no overhang, therefore no soffit vents on 3 sides of the roof/house.

The existing fiberglass insulation is already touching the decking for several inches since 1978 with no problems. Even if I add baffles, technically some insulation will still the touch roof decking because of the design of the baffles(width).

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-12, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The baffles will help keep air from being trapped across a temperature gradient, which could cause condensation. It may take a long time, but any condensation will produce problems with rot and mildew.

Even though there is no baffle in the old insulation, installing them might be advantageous in the long run.

FWIW, my house has stopped soffits; and I installed baffles when we increased the insulation to the point that it would block the area adjacent to the stops. It just seemed to be a good idea.

Chris

Old 12-08-12, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 19 Posts
You haven't provided much info on your attic but I'll offer a generalized answer to your question.

I would have to say no, do not add any insulation in the area where the roof begins to come close to the top of the insulation.
Baffles are designed to allow airflow from soffit vents to bypass insulation and leave the attic space through vents on the upper part of the roof.
Baffles will not do this in your attic and by installing them and insulating up to the bottom of the roof deck the resulting stagnant air will likely cause moisture problems.

It is good that you haven't had any problems since 1978 but any changes you make to the insulation will reset the clock where the past becomes meaningless.

If you could provide clear detailed pictures of the attic and exterior shots of the roof we may be able to offer some constructive advice.