Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

Roof over sheathing that varies in thickness from existing to new additition

Roof over sheathing that varies in thickness from existing to new additition

Old 12-10-12, 04:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Roof over sheathing that varies in thickness from existing to New Addition

How do you transition roofing installation when the existing roof sheathing 3/4" meets New Addition sheathing 1/2"?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-12, 05:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 285 Votes on 261 Posts
They could have raised the framing 1/4" if they knew they were going to use 1/2" up against 3/4". At this point, I'd probably pop the nails out of the 1/2" sheathing and raise it 1/4" by inserting a 1/4" shim under the sheathing edge.

Old 01-01-13, 11:30 PM
if your just trying to find something that wont show a step in your roof on a consistant line, you might try getting some roofing tin, 3 feet+ wide, and roll it out and just barely nail it off on the 3/4 sheeting, and nail the other end tight on the 1/2 sheeting as far out as you can get it, sort of forming a gradual slope, its cheap, it wont cause any leaks, and its really easy.

Im not saying this is ideal... but hey. Sometimes doing it yourself means taking the right shortcuts that dont ruin your house.

EDIT
btw if you dont have some sort of metal to nail the singles on to, then your nailgun is going to blow threw the shingles. 1. If its warm, it will force bend the shingles, and cause a VERY noticable step, or if its cold, the nail will just blow right threw the shingle, and create small nail sized leaks along this section.

Putting metal under the shingles on top of your tar paper would provide a backing that would prevent the nails from ripping holes in your shingles and would be semi supportive, and visually pleasing.

Old 02-25-13, 01:08 PM
Thanks to both of you for your ideas. I came up with the following resolution after reading from your thought provoking suggestions.
What I actually ended up with was 1/8" Luan in 4x8 sheets and ripped them at 1', 2' and 3' wide. I then layer them 1', then 2' on top and if needed 3' on top of them. After that I continued with 30# felt paper and it is not noticeable even to the trained eye. Roof is finished and looks perfect....Thanks again for getting me going in the right direction.