Ground floor window leak.

Old 12-30-12, 05:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ground floor window leak.

i have a old victorian (1890's) stone build terrace house, for the last year the front ground floor window has been leaking in from the top.

we've re-pointed the wall, painted it to seal in the stone, put new guttering up, and re-sealed around both the upstairs and ground floor windows and still it leaks when it rains!
we're running out of ideas and money now, and the flow of water is rotting the wooden window lintel away!
windows are pvc with an awning opening at the top
front wall has a slight bow in it but as i said its all been re-pointed and painted.

any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-12, 01:58 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Test it with a hose. Start from the bottom & go up. One person should be inside while the other person shoots the water. As soon as you see the water, that's where the problem is.

Also, what is the condition of the roof & the gutters, on that side, of the house?

Old 12-31-12, 06:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 302 Votes on 275 Posts
If there are any windows above this one that is leaking, I'd suspect a leak around the window sills of the 2nd story windows.

When you say "leaking at the top" I assume you mean that it's coming out where the jamb meets the casing above the window, or where the jamb meets the top of the window?