Tiger stripes on 2 yr old gutters

Old 01-06-13, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tiger stripes on 2 yr old gutters

Started having wet basement issues 1 month after we got new gutters with the leaf relief gutter guard system. This weekend took off gutter guards and noticed tiger stripes only on the new gutters. Does this provide evidence for gutter overshoot since the gutters are only2 years old? I think during heavy rains (which is when we had wet basement issues despite having a functioning interior french drain and sump pump) the leaf relief system acted as a diving board for the water. Thanks so much!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-13, 02:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
What size gutters did they install? 4" or 5". My first guess would be too small a gutter. Improperly installed, the gutter guards will not allow proper capillary action to take the water back into the gutter, and can account for overflow simulation.

How is your landscaping beyond the edge of the house? Does it slant enough to take water away?

Old 01-06-13, 02:26 PM
The gutters are 5in. Had a home inspector out who said gutters were appropriately sloped. We are going to fix some of the grading around the house. Even if the grade needs to be fixed, is it normal to have tiger stripes that soon? I thought that usually happens to older gutters.

Old 01-06-13, 04:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 302 Votes on 275 Posts
I suspect that if you had a white car and it wasn't washed for 2 years it would be about time for a cleaning. What I mean by that is if you want your gutters to be as white as they were when they were new, you will probably need to clean them now and then. Sometimes 409 is strong enough to do it but I have always preferred Westley's Bleach White, which is actually a whitewall tire cleaner.

Old 01-07-13, 08:20 AM
Thank you! I don't really care if they are dirty I am just trying to figure out if my gutters are overshooting before the next heavy rain. Besides having a wet basement, was trying to determine if the tiger stripes provided evidence for gutter overshooting.

Old 01-07-13, 05:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 302 Votes on 275 Posts
There is likely a percentage of water that overshoots the gutters in a heavy rain. I think that's pretty unavoidable with most leaf guards. None of them are 100% efficient at keeping out trash AND letting water drain- you just can't have both.

IMO the leaf relief style of gutter guard is the best at keeping trash out. Pine needles sometimes get stuck in them.