Gutters, rain management and exterior paint

Old 01-14-13, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gutters, rain management and exterior paint

HI all,

I am Planning on painting the exterior of the house and need advice in regards to the gutters. Currently they are in very bad shape and don't really work well. I am wondering what is the best thing to do, replace with new gutters before painting the roof and exterior walls? or how to do it.
Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-13, 04:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 293 Posts
I would remove the old gutters, do your painting then install new gutters as a last step. That way the gutters are not in the way when painting the soffits and you might find when the gutters come down that there is some fascia repair to do and that should come before painting so you can paint everything at the same time.

Old 01-14-13, 08:53 PM
Thanks, that makes sense. Now my ground (soil) is just flat with some mulch on some flower beds that sit against a few walls. Those walls are now stained and muddy in some spots after rain. What is the proper set-up or thing to do there, on the ground to avoid splashes or mud, besides having the gutters properly routed. Is it customary to have rocks around the perimeter? In other words, what preparation should I consider on the flat ground around the perimeter of the house where both (wall and ground) surfaces meet in order to maintain the walls and ground clear and clean.

Old 01-15-13, 06:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 151 Posts
The downspouts should be routed away from the house. Have you identified the cause of the stains at the bottom of the house? If it's just rain and not from faulty gutters, then mulch or rock should help.

I also agree with tearing off the old gutters and painting before installing the new ones. That way the fascia behind the gutters get s fresh coat of paint to help protect it

Old 01-15-13, 07:35 PM
Some of the stains are from water running down the wall and splashing mud around, but I have yellow stains also on some spots that I have no idea. I have not seen a single house in my neighborhood with rocks around the perimeter. Every house seems to have a combination of raised flower beds, straight grass or red mulch in some cases that clearly stain the walls were those are located, regardless of the gutter system. In any case I understand that getting the tubes away is the most important thing. I guess I am going to have to route it away from the grass where the kids play, preferable underground.