kickout flashing

Old 01-23-13, 05:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
kickout flashing

I want to install kickout flashing to an existing house where the gutter for a first story roof buts into the siding of the wall for a second story. I want to deflect the first story roof water into the gutter instead of flowing down the hardboard horizontal lap siding.

Do I have to remove the siding and shingles to install the kickout flashing, or is there a trick to doing this.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-13, 06:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 216 Votes on 201 Posts
It would help to know what kind of siding you are talking about, and having a picture of the area would help greatly. It's really hard to give specific advice without being able to see it.

Basically you probably already have some step flashing at the roof/wall intersection. The kickout flashing has to replace the final step flashing, and tuck behind the 2nd to last step flashing. Depending on the distance from the shingles to the bottom of the siding, and where the siding laps, it can sometimes determine whether or not the siding has to come off, or if you can slip it under. The goal being so that last step shingle needs to shed water out on TOP of the siding... not direct water behind it.