Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

A leak in my top floor ceiling that travels down to the basement

Old 01-31-13, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I was sitting in my family room, which is in the basement and noticed a lot of water running down my walls and collecting on my floor. The trickles of water spread about 5 feet. When I reached up and touched the ceiling where it was wet, the water overflowed and spilled out even more. I went to the bedroom directly above the family room and discovered that there was water running down the doorway of the closet. Not near as much as downstairs and hardly anything pooled on the floor. There are hardwood floors in that room. The ceiling in the closet looks like it's water damaged so I know the leak is there, but there is no plumbing near this room. We had a very heavy snowfall of 75 centimetres shortly before this which was followed but a couple of beautiful days which caused the snow to melt. I have a sick gut feeling that my roof is leaking. This house is 26 years old and the roof has never been redone. How likely is it that the whole roof needs to be replaced? Is there a ball park figure that I should expect to pay? How much damage can be done to the rest of the home because of this? I don't think this is the first time this has happens in this home because I can see water damage on the ceiling in the bedroom and family room, in the same places I saw the water too. I'm freaking out!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-13, 09:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 519 Votes on 489 Posts
Do you have access to the attic. That would be the first logical place to check.
Your talking 30" of snow. That's a LOT of snow on the roof.
It is very likely that your gutters have frozen and the water is backing up and coming in under the shingles. You may need to clean the gutters out manually.

Depending on the roofing material used.....26 years is pretty good. You are probably due.

Here, when I had my roof redone....I went half way up the roof with ice shield which is like a rubber membrane to stop water from traveling up under the shingles.

Roof pitch also affects the leak issue.

Can't help you on pricing.

Old 02-01-13, 05:35 AM
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
I'm assuming you are on the east coast? They got a lot of snow recently.
26 years on original (probably 20yrs shingles), is a bit long. Most new construction is the cheapest 20yr shingles they can get their hands on unless you where the general contractor on the job.
I'm also doubtful there is ice shield as I don't think it's a building code requirement.

You are definitely looking at new shingles (assuming it's shingles) and probably a bit of roof repair (couple sheets of plywood). I would also suspect your insulation in the attic will be in need of replacement (good time to upgrade).

Unfortunately I can't give you a very good estimate on the roof job. I did my old place about 4 years ago and at 950sqft, it was ~$2k for materials (vents, 40yr Cambridge shingles, nails, etc). I did all the work myself with the help of my cousin who is a roofer.

As for the interior damage... You'll need to figure out what needs to be replaced. Might be a good time to talk to the insurance company and get an idea if you should go through them or not.

Old 02-01-13, 08:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The total amount of snow that fell that day was 75 centimetres. That's not to say that 75 centimetres accumulated on my roof. I live in Newfoundland so we do get heavy snowfalls. I can't get in my attic because I've just had surgery. I have a friend coming tomorrow to inspect the attic for me. I'll post what he finds.