Plumber burned my "Tyvek" - now what?

Old 02-02-13, 05:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Plumber burned my "Tyvek" - now what?

I've had some plumbing work to be done in the house. Friend of mine recommended a plumber that is doing a decent job so far. Nothing is connected yet, but looks promising
When the guy was working in the pretty tight spot, right below the roofline, he has burned a sizable hole in the roof liner that was installed about 8 years ago. For some reason (maybe because it's his snafu) he is convinced that this will not cause any leaks. I am on other hand, convinced that will.
Can you guys please give a definitive answer on who is correct here and the most important, how to fix it if in fact it is a problem.
Thanks!

Just for your viewing pleasure:

Last edited by Newbie; 02-02-13 at 05:11 AM. Reason: adding picture
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-13, 05:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
You say "Tyvek", but it doesn't look like tyvek. I should think tyvek tape would repair it, however. What is the purpose of the material in question? I agree, he probably should have used a heat shield, but it's done. He needs some no nail plates on the edge of that top plate set up.

Old 02-02-13, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 19 Posts
Question I must be missing something?

Can't exactly figure out what is going on in that picture.
Appears to be a vapor barrier extending above the top plate, you have cut in to this space from the inside then you have three vents installed in the stud space???

Some pics of what is going on outside and an explanation of the construction is needed here.

Old 02-02-13, 07:54 AM
I agree, Greg. Looks like one vent per pipe to allow for freezing. Not sure of this venting, or what it is there for. I think an exterior pix would be most helpful.

Old 02-02-13, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator
Record lows for San Diego do show freezing temps so I am not sure how those vents would not be a recipe for bursting pipes.

Old 02-02-13, 08:29 AM
Thank you

Thank you both for a short notice reply!

I said "Tyvek" only because I don't know what that material's actual name is, but I am sure it's a vapor barrier. I can and will take some outside pictures when it gets lighter outside, but not sure if they will help much
The construction as I recall was in the following order:
a. Vapor barrier over the 1x6 whatever they called (no plywood was used)
b. White "aluminum" backed insulation nailed down over the vapor barrier with 2x2 going vertically up and down the roof.
c. Galvanized steel roof sections nailed down over the 2x2s
I may be missing a step somewhere in between, but that's how I remember it done.
I do not understand what are you referring as venting pipes. Is it the copper you see in the picture? If yes, then no all the copper you see is used for supply lines to my upstairs bathroom. Freezing pipes is not one of my concerns at least not yet
Chandler, please clarify or send me to the site that explains "no nail plates on the edge of that top plate set up"
Thanks again.

Old 02-02-13, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator
I didn't say "venting pipes" I said "vents" which are the three holes with screen where you appear to be looking outside.
Is this a mobile home?

Because the vapor barrier appears to extend along the roof line you have what appears to be an insulated attic space.

Old 02-02-13, 08:49 AM
I think I just realized what venting you both are talking about. It's the three round holes behind the pipes with mesh on the inside of the plate. I can easily block those vents and add some insulation in between the pipes to prevent the freezing if that ever becomes a concern. With the global warming, hopefully not any time soon in San Diego.
Here is the outside pic:

Unfortunately this was the only open stud space where we could run the pipes.

Last edited by Newbie; 02-02-13 at 08:58 AM. Reason: picture
Old 02-02-13, 09:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 298 Votes on 271 Posts
Since it is INSIDE the roof and not exposed to the weather AT ALL, how could it possibly cause a leak? The board that it's mounted to is vertical, isn't it? It doesn't appear to be the underside of the roof.

Old 02-02-13, 10:30 AM
now you'll all know

Sorry,
now it's going to become really obvious how much of this stuff I really DON'T know
I was under impression that vapor barrier served dual purpose
a. the actual barrier preventing condensation forming due to temperature changes
b. as a backup surface in case there is an actual roof leak developed or the strong wind is causing water to be forced under the roof panels.

What is the name the board you are referring to XSleper? Is it a shiplap?
It is underside of the roof, just not directly under the roof panels, insulation is sandwiched between.

Old 02-02-13, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator
One step closer.

Your pics don't show how the house is constructed.
Now how about the whole roof and outside wall from a bit further back showing more than one side.

Old 02-02-13, 12:02 PM
Here's a link to no nail plates. They need to be installed in front of the pipes since attaching drywall through the plates will allow screws to penetrate the copper. Cable Protector-2712R at The Home Depot

The vapor barrier, if that is what it is, is negated by the round vents, and is of absolutely no concern here, IMO.

Just remember the Global Warming seminar they had to cancel last year due to 6' snow fall in the host city.

Old 02-02-13, 03:13 PM
Thank you so much.

This makes me feel much better. I assume there is still no harm in installing a piece of some kind of a vapor barrier over that hole. Should I still block those vents with a piece of steel or wood, just in case?

Old 02-02-13, 05:51 PM
Do you know the purpose of the holes? If they serve no purpose, I'd screw in a piece of painted plywood over them to occlude them totally. I have a feeling when the house was built, the bath exhaust was just dumped into that area and allowed to exhaust on its own. I see a newer exhaust pipe with cap, so they may serve no purpose at all.

Old 02-02-13, 07:32 PM
Actually it was me who put in the vent pipe because the bathroom had a window but no fan. The purpose of the holes (venting ones) is to vent the attic to the ridge vent (that used to be there) when i had a shingle roof. Now I have a solar powered exhaust fan on the roof but these small holes on the perimeter still supply the intake air to the attic. I doubt that if I close just 3 of them it would do much of the difference as far as ventilation goes.