Putting up gutters was easy :)

Old 02-08-13, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Putting up gutters was easy :)

Last weekend I put up gutters on the house and the workshop. Probably about 90 linear feet. I used a "K"-type vinyl gutter from Home Depot as both places getting gutters are on the North side of the house.

I started at the high end away from the downspout and installed the first bracket, 1' from the end. Pulled the bracket, put the screw back in. Hooked the chalk line, walked to the other end, put the hanging level on the chalk line, found plumb. Since this was about 40', dropped this end 1" (so 1/4" over 10') and snapped the line. Then hung brackets ever two feet with the point of the screw going into the chalk line. Installed an outside 90 bend at the corner of the patio, followed 20" to where the downspout lined up with the concrete block column, brought the downpipe to the lantana planter.

I then did the workshop, center dumping to where some plants are, from about 9' up. Started at the one end, dropped about 1/2" to the center 20' away, then installed the downspout and reversed, going from the other end to the downspout.

I had bought one of those Werner telescoping step ladders that can be broken into two parts and also bought one of the dynamic Hinge Kits, and for this I bought the scaffolding that goes between. It was helpful, though some of the foliage in the way was a PITA to work around even with the scaffold.

They look good. Could look better on the house, but because the roof edge slope isn't perfect itself it'll just be the way it is.

I probably spent six hours total on the labor of the project, doing about 90% of the work unassisted. My wife helped hand me tools while I was up on the ladder a few times, and Dad helped one day with the chalk lines because he happened to be over. Total parts cost was probably a couple-hundred bucks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-13, 06:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 372 Votes on 349 Posts
Sounds like you saved a bunch of dough doing it yourself.

(and a new ladder to boot )

Old 02-08-13, 06:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 216 Votes on 201 Posts
Yeah that's the best part of DIY... being able to justify buying new tools! Makes it hard for the wife to argue that way.

Old 02-11-13, 11:32 AM
We had already had the ladder itself, we had to take the popcorn ceiling down over a stairwell, and renting a ladder was going to cost as much as buying it. The scaffolding is new though. I had thought about making something to act as a scaffold, but figured it'd be a lot safer if I just bought the right thing. My guess is that my wife will want to use the scaffolding to strip the fruit trees bare later.

Old 02-11-13, 12:03 PM
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
I'm looking to repair or redo my gutters this summer coming, so these are some good tips.

I'll need to figure out how to get to mine however as their ~30ft from the ground.

Old 02-11-13, 07:29 PM
I think that you're going to be stuck either moving the ladder a lot or else renting real scaffolding. Also, my gutters slid in to the hangers rather than clipping in, so I had to suspend a 10' span out to start it at the first hanger to then slide it through the five hangers, so up high in the air that could be hazardous without scaffolding.

I would NOT want to try installing or servicing gutters from the roof.