Roof leak causing leak from ceiling??

Old 02-09-13, 01:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Roof leak causing leak from ceiling??

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]Hello All,

I started having a leak in my family room ceiling recently. I removed thedrywall and found some pretty wet wood. There is a screw in the middle of thewood where the drip appears to be coming from. Above the leak there is anoverhang. I can access the area from my bedroom window. I did notice there aresome joints and nails that do not look sealed. Could this be causing water tocome in? I'm going to replace the drywall but I'm not sure whether I shouldhave a roofer look at it or just go out and seal those spots up. Any inputwould be greatly appreciated!

pictures are here...

[SIZE=3]Postimage.org / gallery - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5[/SIZE]

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-13, 03:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

There isn't any sense in repairing the drywall until the leak is fixed........ unless you need the practice
It's hard to say from the pics if any of those is the source of the leak. I assume there isn't any plumbing in the attic or the 2nd floor exterior wall ?? Is the attic accessible? that would be the best way to find the entry point.

Old 02-09-13, 03:58 PM
Hey Mark thanks for the speedy reply! I'm attaching a picture of the outside back of my house. I put a circle around the area where the leak is on the inside. Our bedroom is above the room with the leak. But as you can see there is an overhang that ends right around the point the leak is occuring. Do you think attic access will help determine anything?

Attached Images  
Old 02-10-13, 05:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
Do you have access to the attic [1st floor] over the leak - it doesn't look like you would
Water is notorious for running along framing members before it finds an easy spot to exit so it's hard to say if the leak originates directly above the damage. If you could see the underside of the roof in the general area of the leak it would help to pinpoint where the leak starts. Looks like we can rule out a plumbing leak.

I think I'd seal any/all suspect areas and wait for the next big rain to see if the leak has been fixed. A water hose could be substituted for a rain storm.

Old 02-10-13, 05:41 AM
Another possibility. Could there be inadequate vapor barrier and ventilation in that overhang causing condensation?

You could cover the hole in the ceiling with a piece of clear plastic taped around the edges and wait to see if water collects only when it rains. Water with no rain would point to condensation.

Old 02-10-13, 06:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 32 Posts
I'd get up on the roof and check out these possible water infiltration points (in order of likelyhood)

1) The vent pipe on the upper floor
2) The window caulking
3) The point where the 2nd floor wall joins to the 1st floor mini-roof.

I doubt condensation will cause that much water.

Can you take pictures of where you think it isn't sealed?

Old 02-10-13, 08:12 PM
Thanks for all the advice everyone! I will take them all into consideration as I do a little roof patching. I do have a piece of cardboard over the hole so I can check that for moisture since it hasn't rained in a few days.