roof drains, almost flat roof

Old 02-25-13, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
roof drains, almost flat roof

I have decided to fix a recurring leak in an almost flat roof by removing the asphalt shingles, and wood deck and replace with new plywood and a roofing sealer that goes on like paint, but dries hard. My concern is, snow sits on this roof in the winter. I am afraid it will still leak. I considered roof drains, but fear the drins will freeze and leak.
My question is, do you think i could use the roof heater cables near the drains to melt the snow, or pipe heater tape inside on the roof drains to prevent the drains from freezeing?
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-13, 02:32 PM
Add a pitched roof on top of the existing one? I did one recently for about 6k.. Lot's of work but could be worth it..

Old 02-25-13, 03:05 PM
I consideted a pitched roof on top of the flat roof, but this is an addition to a house, so the new pitched roof would need to tie into the main roof. Which makes for a large roof. Plus, this is an old house built by drunken farmers before building codes. I would be afraid the exsisting walls could not support the weight of a larger pitched roof. And, it is a hand dug cellar hole with hand built stone foundation. Soany weight added to the roof would probably need to have a new load bearing wall on a new foundation. I also considered a roof membrane, but that would probably cost more then the house is worth