Roof Damage

Old 03-02-13, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Roof Damage

Clearly I've damaged my roof. I actually had it replaced about seven years ago, (had some money, then). Then I ignored it. I was up there the other day following a leak and started to clean the back of the roof (I never even looked at it) and it was a mess (front was ok).

I cleaned off all the leaves and cut the branches (including the one that had dug into a spot in the roof). This was where the leak was (I assume).

I was going to go up there and just put down some roofing cement, but started to read more about wood rot and started to get concerned. The leak, btw, fell through a ceiling fan (never use it, and don't care about it -- all electricity in house ok). It might have leaked 8 oz? There was in a lot of rain last week (flooded around here).

At the point where the limb was digging into the roof, the shingles are still there and there isn't a visible hole. There are other shingles with dirt under them, I've let the roof dry out and am very carefully cleaning the roof. Most of the shingles are undamaged imo. No cracks and they are not turning up - brittle -- though that is also because I had leaves all over it. However, given the mess, only a few had dirt underneath.

Tips? I'm poor and not able to call someone in. I probably can't replace the wood (I don't have those skills). But I do want to be able to assess it - to understand just what I've let happen and my next steps. Covering up the problem and not doing anything (as I understand it) is stupid. Though it's really what I want to do.

Suggestions? Any basic tips appreciated.

TIA

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-13, 02:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
It doesn't really sound like you have a damage roof. Can you get in the attic and inspect it from the bottom side?

Old 03-02-13, 02:44 PM
It's a one story florida cement block home. I'd have to crawl the length of the house.....I don't know if I can do that. I do some basic handy-person work in the house....but I don't even know how I'd crawl though all of that. I'd have to crawl on my stomach (I had an electrician years ago put in a light and that's what he did. He said it was hard, dirty and there was lots of insulation. Is this the best option? There is a stain on the ceiling (not huge, but a light line about two feet?). That's where the water was coming down.

I was of the opinion, looking on line, that I'd have to rip up some of the shingles. That was more than what I had wanted to so (remember,I just wanted to throw the cement down . But If I have to, and replace a few new shingles I suppose I can learn how.

Old 03-02-13, 03:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If you can't inspect from within the attic, replacing shingles will be the best bet. Roofing tar is a temporary messy solution to fix your problem. Even if you can't find the exact color match, some would be better than nothing.

Old 03-02-13, 03:39 PM
Roofing tar paper? And that's better than the cement? why? Do you suspect that the shingles will never be ok again?

If I use the tar paper can I pull up just a few shingles and use iteffectively?

I've looked for some very basic instructions. I could do this How to Install Roofing Tar Paper | eHow.com

Old 03-02-13, 03:53 PM
No one mentioned tar "paper". Replace the shingles as opposed to using roofing tar on the area.

Old 03-02-13, 04:29 PM
OK. I'll do some research on how to do that. It's a bit of a learning curve for me. But I've actually repaired a few things and replaced my pipes (outside, to the house). Not bad considering I grew up at a time and in a family when women didn't do this sort of thing!

I'll go out to Lowes in the morning and see what I need.

Thanks so much for all your help. I'm flying a bit blind and the advice is really needed

Old 03-02-13, 06:35 PM
Don't worry, we aren't going anywhere. Just ask away. I had a lady client for whom we were going to tile her bathroom become surprised when we said we would remove the toilet. She had just pulled it herself, saw it was dirty, took it out in the yard, scrubbed it with a toothbrush, replaced all the innards and reinstalled it.......she is 74 years old So don't underestimate yourself.

Old 03-04-13, 12:18 PM
Well, that was harder than those videos (they just pull the nail out so easily).

I fixed the problem with the leak (on one side of the house), but discovered a worse situation on the other side of the house. A tree limb had rubbed the shingles, and when I went to remove them.....I can be pretty inexperienced about such things so the first thing I thought when I saw the puff of smoke wafting up when I removed the nail.....was...fire?? That didn't make sense.

Of course, you must know what happened. The water penetrated the (whatever they put down underneath the shingle - since it ripped -- and there is rot. I can't tell how much without ripping up more of the white....(waterproofing sheet?) and I'm reluctant to do that because I have no money to fix this problem (unless it magically cost two or three hundred dollars).

I'm going to put a tarp over it (I read that I have to go over the 'V' of the roof to protect it from more water damage. Any other suggestions? I know that leaving it is a big problem, too. But, as it stands, I'm unemployed and still have a child at home (reliant on my lack of income).

But if you have any thoughts, it's appreciated.

j

Old 03-04-13, 02:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
Pics would help us better understand what you are dealing with - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 03-04-13, 02:30 PM
Here's what I see. I don't feel anymore damage beyond this point, but I haven't ripped up anymore than what you see. I also don't feel any damage to the wood towards the middle of the roof (seems to be isolated to the board near the ....um...frame?

Attached Images