Underground downspouts that are covered and cannot drain

Old 03-02-13, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Underground downspouts that are covered and cannot drain

I have a downspout that runs under my front sidewalk and then drains into the yard. Normally it works fine but recently we've had 20" of snow and now the drain outlet is buried under about 4 feet of snow from our lawn service cleaning the driveway and sidewalk and piling the snow in the yard. When the snow on the roof begins to melt it goes into the downspout and eventually backs up and leaks onto my garage ceiling since the runoff has no place to go. I have temporarily fixed this by disconnecting the downspout where it goes into the sidewalk but this now drains onto the walk and driveway which is OK for a while but I'm looking for a permanent solution and I don't want to run an extension across the sidewalk. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-13, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Before the next snow I would suggest you place a stake in the yard where the drain is located and inform your snow removal guy to not cover the drain with snow. I would think that the melted snow from the roof would overflow the front edge of the gutter first rather than backing up and coming in on the garage ceiling. The problem sounds like ice damming which is a roofing, ventilation and insulation problem rather than a gutter problem.