Carpenter Bees

Old 03-03-13, 01:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carpenter Bees

We have a problem with carpenter bees burrowing tunnels into the outside or the roof eave. So far they have tunneled into one of the main beams running along the underside of the edge of the roof eave all the way down the whole length of the beam and tunneled into the canec portion of the roof eave leaving that portion of the canec full of holes and tunnels.

What do you suggest for repairing this type of damage? Can I replace the sections of canec that the carpenter bees tunneled with gypsm board or is there a similar type of material to canec that I can use to replace those sections? Also, in regards to the main beam, can I fill in this section with wood filler? The tunneling is not deep into the beam, it runs along the edge portion of the beam.

Name:  P3030772.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  19.1 KBName:  P3030773.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  24.3 KBName:  P3030775.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  31.1 KBAttachment 9803

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-13, 02:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Here in the mainland, carpenter bees drill their 1/2" hole and tunnel into the wood. Fairly innocuous until the woodpeckers decide to eat the larvae. That appears what you are seeing with the damage. Carpenter bees themselves won't allow emergence of their holes into the atmosphere. Do you have woodpeckers on the islands? I have never heard of using canec or fiberboard for exterior eaves or rakes or soffits. A better, longer term fix would be to have someone come in and cover the soffit and rakes with metal trim coil material.

Old 03-03-13, 04:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 293 Posts
Anything soft like caulk or foam I've tied in their holes has not worked. They just dig it out. Lately I've been driving a nail or running a screw into the hole which seems to work surprisingly well.

Old 03-04-13, 04:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 151 Posts
Also those pesky bees tend to return to the same spot every year so it's best to shoot dust into the holes, then plug them. The insecticide dust is kind of pricey but I've found using sevin dust works just as well at a fraction of the price.