water is coming off my in all directions!

Old 03-18-13, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
water is coming off my in all directions!

I don't know who designed this house we just bought but they didn't know what they were doing. The water comes off the roof over a side door onto the carport. Gutters don't help much, and i need suggestions please.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-13, 07:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Lokks like the gutters are full of stuff. Try cleaning them out.

Old 03-18-13, 08:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 303 Votes on 276 Posts
heh heh, its funny that you would blame the builder for this one. Those gutters do look pretty full of trash. But in addition to cleaning them out, you probably need to install some diverters there at the inside corners of the gutters- something the builder could have done. A diverter is like a shield that blocks the runoff and it makes sure that when it rains hard, water doesn't sail right over the gutter at those corners, and spill on the ground, deck or sidewalk below.

image credit: egutter dot com

If you have 2x3 outlets and downspouts, you could always upgrade the outlets and downspouts to 3x4, which will drain twice the volume of water from the same size gutter. It's beyond me why they even use 2x3. It probably doesn't help matters if the water coming down the valley has to run around a corner and travel a long distance before it reaches it's first downspout. 3x4's are usually less likely to get clogged.

Keeping the gutters clean along there is just something every homeowner has to do, especially if you've got a lot of trees nearby. Some trees create more debris than others- twigs, seeds and such. Sometimes it's not just the gutters but also the downspout elbows. If your gutters are full and you seem to be only getting a slow flow of water out the end of the downspout, it could be that twigs and leaves have gotten caught in the downspout elbows. Taking them apart is pretty simple, so you could also check that.

Old 03-19-13, 10:44 AM
I do clean them out, just not the day I took the pic. Are there any ideas on how to cover the opening between the carport(left) and the house(right). The carport slab extends to the edge of the house, therefore it rains through the openong and runs onto the carport. Thanks for the advice as I explore all options.

Old 03-19-13, 03:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 151 Posts
I doubt there is any easy cheap way to cover the opening - least ways not something that would look good.

You might not be cleaning the gutters often enough. If they fill every time you turn around - maybe you should install leaf guards. Installing deflectors at the corners where the valleys are should also help.

Old 03-19-13, 05:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 303 Votes on 276 Posts
Sure. Go find an Azek retailer and buy a 4x8 or 4x10 sheet of 3/4 thick Azek. Rip it on a table so so that it is wide enough that it can lay on both gutters at the same time and put a few screws into the gutter on each side from above. It's white like the gutters so it won't necessarily need to be painted.

But keep in mind that it's going to be pretty dark under there once you close it in.

And don't step on it if you're on the roof. Gutters aren't meant for people to stand on.