Help with waterproofing outside to prevent basement leaks

Old 03-24-13, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with waterproofing outside to prevent basement leaks

Hello everyone, first time posting. A friend of mine who i've helped with many of his house projects swears by using DIY forums to get a good idea/opinion on projects he sets up with his house, rather than calling in a contractor to give him a sales pitch.

With that being said, here's what I've got.

I purchased a house back in June of 2012. No initial red flags although the area that i live is set with houses kinda tiered down a slop. My house would be considered in the middle of the block. After the first good rain storm i noticed some heavy sweating in the northwest corner of the basement which is the corner that is closest to the neighbor and points toward the street.

After inspecting the gutters I realized that they were positioned in a way that was allowing water to simply poor into the corner rather than flow out into the yard. After I corrected that I continued to have sweating and then a few weeks later small streams pouring out of the concrete. Once again it only appears to be coming out of the corner on the northwest. I'd say, 4-6 feet down the long side of the house and 2-4 from the corner across the north face.

So here's my actual question. I've looked over the forums and found that of course there is no "ONE" magic solution but if i were to simply dig up that corner of the house from the outside, meaning. 6ft down the west side of the house and 4ft down the front of the house, what dept should i go to help dispurse the water and what solution should i use? Dig out and drylock? Drain tile? Etc.

I'm not sure if there's more much information needed or pictures perhaps. I am going to assume that any work to be done is going to be done by myself and not by a contractor and time's not a problem.

Thoughts?Name:  0324131137.jpg
Views: 1225
Size:  38.7 KBName:  0324131137a.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  41.4 KBName:  0324131139a.jpg
Views: 2238
Size:  49.5 KBName:  0324131139b.jpg
Views: 1157
Size:  50.6 KB

Last edited by Stonekeep; 03-24-13 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Adding photos
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-13, 10:28 AM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Pictures always help....

Have you donned your galoshes, popped open an umbrella, and headed outside during a good rain storm to observe what is going on out there? It seems strange that after you diverted the downspouts away from the house, you are getting more water than before. Doesn't make sense unless you are diverting the water somehow uphill and it is flowing back toward the house.

Tell us about the roof at that section of the house, is it a valley that dumps lots of water to one section? What does the neighbors runoff look like?

More will chime in soon, and welcome to the forums

Old 03-24-13, 10:34 AM
Thanks czizzi, I'm in the process of taking some pictures again. For some reason the ones I took with my wife's camera and it's saying files too big. I haven't going out during a good rain yet. Although i will say were having some good snow melt here the past couple of weeks which I know can be a larger cause but prior to that I still would see some small bleeding.

It could be the grade as well but i really can't tell. I'll try get some photos here in a bit.

Old 03-24-13, 10:40 AM
If you have some photo editing software on your computer, you can resize the pictures to "web" quality. It will shrink the gazillion megapixel file of today down to a small file for uploading.

Old 03-24-13, 10:45 AM
It almost sounds like a poorly poured concrete basement - possibly a "cold joint". This just a guess without seeing what the photos may show.

Dick

Old 03-24-13, 10:53 AM
Just uploaded some pictures. I know there's worse basements out there but in the long term i'd really love to finish the basement. My other option in regards to that was going to be having the finished wall 4 feet away from the basement wall to allow access to back area.

Old 03-24-13, 06:07 PM
What is a cold joint? Is it something that I can fix myself do you think?

Old 03-25-13, 04:36 AM
What is the reason you have all those blocks up against the house? What is underneath them?

Old 03-25-13, 05:11 AM
Those were there when i moved in. They line that entire side of the house for some reason as well as the same side on the garage. I've pulled a couple up and its just dirt underneath. Not sure why because theres a nice over hang so when it does rain i dont see those blocks getting wet. Reading additional threads, should i pull those out add dirt?

Old 03-25-13, 05:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 169 Votes on 150 Posts
I suspect they were put there in a feeble attempt to divert water away from the foundation. It's also possible it was done so you wouldn't have to weedeat next to the house. I don't know if they hurt anything or not