Age old question... What shingle brand?

Old 04-05-13, 08:04 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Age old question... What shingle brand?

A friend of a friend owns a roofing company and I've reached out to him to re-shingle my 20+ year old roof. He recommended Tamko (Heritage 30-year) shingles. I've heard of GAF, Timberline, Certainteed, etc., but I've never heard of Tamko... then again I'm no roofing expert.

I live in SE Michigan on Lake Erie... fairly windy at times due to being on the water. The house has two primary roof lines that are split pretty much 50/50 w/ half facing east/west and the other half facing north/south.

I did a quick search on Tamko and didn't see anything overwhelmingly great, but then again you'll find bad reviews about pretty much any shingle. I'm just looking for some feedback on Tamko Heritage in general or any other recommendations.

Old 04-06-13, 06:06 AM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Tamko is the best selling shingle at my local roofing center. Price, Price, Price. Just as good as any other 30yr shingle. Make sure they use the TAMKO hip and ridge too.

Old 04-06-13, 09:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Having been a painting contractor I'd think one of the reasons he uses that brand is because of cost and availability. Buying materials at the same place on a regular basis generally gets you good pricing. Assuming he's both a good friend and good contractor, I wouldn't be hesitant about his recommendation.

Old 04-07-13, 10:08 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you plan on staying in house go to a metal roof. steel prices have come down and shingles have went up. it lasts alot longer than traditional shingles.,they just dont stand up the way they use too. I had 35 year on my house and got about 7 before they started curling etc.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: