Patio Roof

Old 04-15-13, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Patio Roof

I am building a roof to cover a 12x20 patio that will be poured after the roof is built. I am going to use 6x6 posts on the outer corners and put them in the ground. I will then be running beams from the posts to 2x6 studs of home. 3/12 pitch roof. Shingles. The truss span will be 20'. My question is - can I use 2 6x6 posts for a 20' span using these materials, or do I need to use 3 posts 10' apart?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-13, 10:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
Sorry, can't answer your specific questions but I would change a couple of the details you aren't questioning:
1 I would not put wood in the ground, I would pour footings which extend above the ground and put post brackets into them.
2 3/12 pitch is not enough, IMO, for shingles.

Old 04-15-13, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Don't put posts in ground due to rot? I was told if I put them in ground I could coat them in a tar type material up to ground level so no water would penetrate.

Old 04-15-13, 10:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 267 Votes on 242 Posts
Tar covered posts in the ground is an old school, pole barn method. I would check with your inspections dept. if that type of construction is permitted. It might be, but it's not commonly done like that anymore.

Since you mentioned trusses, in my area that is a requirement for engineering which the truss company usually provides with the required engineering, drawings, official seal and signature. Using standard tables traditional lumber can be used to stick build without the engineering requirement.

Most shingles I have seen specify 4:12 as the minimum allowable pitch.

Old 04-15-13, 12:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Votes on 127 Posts
I don't know a lot about roofing but I thought that 3/12 was the minimum. Seems like I read that on a shingle package somewhere along the line. Most MHs have 3/12 pitch and some of them have shingles so it must pass some kind of inspection/code.