Roofing shingle question - Help please?

Old 04-20-13, 05:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Roofing shingle question - Help please?

I'm putting 3 tab shingles on a shed roof. The roof is exactly 12' wide, but I want to leave a 1" overhang on the gables.

Since the 3 tab shingles are 36" long, this means exactly 4 shingles will cover the span left to right.

How do I move/stagger them to leave the desired 1" overhang? The more I look at this, the more confused I get.

Thank you very much!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-13, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Thats part of roofing....figuring the stagger and waste.

Start by cutting about 1/3 of a tab off of a shingle and lay out one row...see how that works

Old 04-20-13, 09:23 AM
Received 62 Votes on 57 Posts
Just as Gunguy said, and it's easy enough on a straight roof like that, lay out the first two courses, or rows if you wish, see where your factory cuts fall, and adjust them so that both ends are relatively symmetrical, and so that you don't have slivers of shingles at either end. The instructions on the back of the package show you how much to cut off of the following courses, so, for example, if you will be cutting 4" off of the first course to get it to lay right, apply that same 4" to whatever the instructions say to cut the next course, and so on. You don't want slivers, but don't rhow what you cut off at the beginning of the courses, because you will be able to use what you cut off at the end of some of the courses. After you get up 4 or 5 course it will be automatic. And don't forget to adjust your starters according to whatever you do with the first course, to avoid having one gap on top of the other.

Old 04-20-13, 03:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thanks for the info guys. very helpful!