Ceiling leaking, looks like some roof issues

Old 04-20-13, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling leaking, looks like some roof issues

Hello,

We bought this house a year ago, the area in the picture is part of an addition built about 25 years ago (probably the age of the roof as well). On the left half of the picture you can see the original house (75 years old).

The ceiling developed a wet spot and then dripped to the floor after 2 weeks of bad rains and wind. The wet ceiling is under the middle of the red circle, although I do not know exactly where the issue is on the roof. I don't know much about roofing, but it looks like the downspout circled in blue may be the cause of the issue over time?

I'd like to put off a new roof another year. Any suggestions on a possible solution to the issue? My initial thought was replacing some of the shingles that have been dripped on by that downspout, and then extending the downspout down to drain into the gutter at the front of the picture.

Thanks!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-13, 02:05 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Water always seeks the easiest way out. So the fact that the water leak is showing itself under the red circle, it does not mean that that is where the water is getting in. You can add a 90 degree elbow to the downspout and divert the water away from the wall. That will tell you if the leak is in the flashing under the siding. I would also suspect that the area above the gutter where the two roofs meet is another entry point. Is the fascia properly flashed, or simply caulked in place. Looks like the fascia is touching the roof, should be offset by and inch or so.

Is your roof double pitched? From the picture it looks like the shingles are differently spaced in and around the red circle. That would explain the water leak in that area. That is where two pieces of plywood would meet providing an opening for water to get through.