How to properly vent lower roof?

Old 04-24-13, 10:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to properly vent lower roof?

In the middle of 2nd day of re-roof...

The 2 lower roofs, which share a small attic crawl space have what appears to be ample intake soffits on the front & sides but I'm trying to figure out the best way to vent outward from the near top without ruining aesthetics.

I've added 2 goose-necks to the back of the upper roof but I really don't think that will look good in the front lower roofs. I'm considered trying to put some sort of "gable vent" on one or both ends but your thoughts & opinions would be greatly appreciated!

FWIW, this is stucco over concrete block in Dade county, florida within 1/2 mile of ocean.

THANKS!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-13, 01:48 PM
Received 26 Votes on 24 Posts
They make a vent that goes against the house right where the roof ends and provides the high vent. I did a quick check of my bookmarks and did not see it, but can search later if needed. It was one of the big name companies, search edge vents.

If not, high gable vents will work.

Bud

Old 04-25-13, 08:26 AM
Try Air Vent, Inc.
Air Vent: Specialty FilterVent

Although if you are in the middle of the project I suspect it is to late anyway.

Old 04-29-13, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the replies, thought about something like your both describing but I'm actually looking at Solar Powered High Gable Vent/Fans on each end; one intake & one exhaust but only because we do not want to put any type of hole on top of either lower roof. Anyone have experience with these solar fans and how do you think the rake vents would affect the fans & vise versa?

Old 04-29-13, 12:57 PM
Besides being terribly overpriced, there are issues with solar fans, link below. They do demonstrate one thing very well, if you make something look like a simple solution, people will buy it and then say it works.

Are Solar-Powered Attic Ventilators Green? | GreenBuildingAdvisor.com

Bud

Old 05-07-13, 05:29 AM
Thanks for the link!
Perhaps doing away with the "power" aspect of the gable vents might be the way to go.

I'm wondering exactly how these rake vents are working with the soffit vents? Or are they working against one another?? How do I tell???

Roof to wall vent aside, in what order would you rate the following?
A) Leaving everything as is.
2) Leaving everything as is but add one gable vent to each side above the highest rake vent.
3) Close off the rake vents and add one gable vent to each side above the old highest rake vent.

Old 05-07-13, 05:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Your right, those vents in the rake are useless, they need to go.
If your not willing to add something like a smart vent that would vent the whole roof and no air would be trapped in the rafter bays then a simple nonpowered gable vent on both ends of the side walls installed as high as possible would work.

Old 05-11-13, 07:49 AM
Thanks!

Smart Vent aside, sounds like one vote for #3:
Close off the rake vents and add one gable vent to each side above the old highest rake vent.

Old 05-11-13, 11:37 AM
Do the rake vents connect to any areas other than that one bay? Rakes are usually extended from the last rafter and are closed from any attic space. If that is the case, or if the rake vents do not pose a rain issue, then they do no harm and at least cool the outer edge of the roof a degree or two. #2

Bud

Old 05-18-13, 12:21 PM
Thanks!
I believe that's one vote #3 & one vote #2.

The rake vents connect to no other areas other than that one attic space above the 2 lower roofs; 2 rake vents on the north side & 2 on the south side.

When I stick my head inside the attic, there appears to be a partial wall of concrete block before reaching the rake vents.