Road water drainage ditch ends in yard!

Old 04-25-13, 11:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Road water drainage ditch ends in yard!

I will add pictures. First let me say i have contacted the township and the superviser was here. He stated there is nothing they can do. The ditch starts as road drain at intersection goes beside the road at my meighbirs property and ends at mine. The water looks like a river through my yard when it rains. Our house as well as neighbors is below grade of the road. We have a in ground pool with a vinyl liner in the back yard when we drained it last year it rained and the water from this was so bad it floated the liner in the pool untill it had water in it. I had to install interior french drains in the basement to keep it dry from all this water. I have a video of the rain and the river in my yard. What can I do. The guy from township said he would check and get back to me on what they could or would and its been 2 months with no return calls. I try calling and nothing. I know its time for reelection because his sign is in my neighbors yard. Shouldnt they have to fix this. It is causing me problems. Especially the pool there is no waterproofing option for it. The house is a 2% grade below the road then the property levels out. So this water just then collects in the back yard so much so that my riding mower sinks. What can I do? Any suggestions or advice would be great. If I new all the problems this house had before I would have ran from it.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-13, 09:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 374 Votes on 351 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Shouldnt they have to fix this.
You would think so but the answer is no. I know several people in similar predicaments and the powers to be have completely removed themselves from offering any help.....actually to the point of hindering a homeowner to do something on his own.

I'd like to see your pics to get a better idea of your problem.

Old 04-25-13, 09:48 PM
Received 26 Votes on 24 Posts
I know a subdivision will have a complete drainage drainage plan, but established roads may be too old to see what they were thinking way back when. Depends upon when the road and related drainage was built??

Bud

Old 04-26-13, 03:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
What is past your yard? or are you at the lowest point? Is there anyplace else for the water to go?

Many counties/cities are also suffering from the bad economy. Things they might do when they have extra money aren't likely to be done when money is tight. The more officials you talk to might help you to get action.