A roof top gym that I am not sure is kosher

Old 04-16-14, 11:24 AM
M
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
A roof top gym that I am not sure is kosher

I am trying to figure out this foreclosed home that has a section of the flat roof converted into an exercise area.

I think that's what it was, there is a flat screen TV mount, a few plastic chairs and some exercise mats. May be they did yoga or karate there, not sure.

What concerns me is that the roof looks really weird to me.

Here is a picture from the ground looking at the flat roof. You can see the wought iron stairs that lead up to it.

As you walk up the stairs you can see the last owner had put a fence around the perimeter, and my first question was how he anchored those metal fences? They appear to be anchored down to the deck with some masonry bolts or screws.

In further examining the roof deck, it appears to be made of coral rock paver blocks about 16"x16" in some areas. These are 1.5" to 2" thick. I have to imagine these are heavy. MUCH heavier than say a concrete roof tile.

Here are some more pictures of the roof deck. It rained yesterday so today it's ponded in a few spots.

There is a leak underneath.

From the underside, where the leak occurred I can see the underside of the roof deck is plywood, not sure of the thickness. I am thinking, on top of this plywood is 1.5" to 2" of this heavy coral rock stone. I don't have any clue how the waterproofing was done. No way to remove a portion of this roof deck to investigate.

One roofer I spoke to suggested putting a coat of elastomeric roof coating over it and forget it. But I have read a few forums on elastomeric coating and there are lots of negative comments on it from it being a band aid to something that causes more problems because it stops the roof from breathing.

Trying to decide if I should consider ripping out all this and put in a "conventional" flat roof.

Old 04-16-14, 03:26 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It would be a shame if you had to remove it. It was a great idea. Can you see what size joists are? I'm wondering about the weight limit. If the leak is only in one place, I would patch it for now & see what happens later.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: