New Roof Done, now I have a question

Old 05-30-13, 04:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Roof Done, now I have a question

We had our one level bungalow home reshingled and they did d really good job. The roofer added a few more vents as there were not many up there when the house was originally built 14 years ago. On humid days I have noticed the house is alot cooler, is this do to the extra vents. Last year the house would have been much more sticky/humid during hot spells. For me this is a good thing physically, just wondering if adding vents would have this effect. They added 4 vents more total.

Paul

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-13, 04:47 AM
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
The added vents would help remove the hot air from the attic.
If the insulation is not so great in there, the heat could possible be noticed in the living space below.
So to answer your question, very possible, but more temp related then humidity.

Old 05-30-13, 05:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 315 Votes on 289 Posts
In Canada and with a house built just 14 years ago I doubt you are noticing any difference due to the vents. It's probably just a seasonal difference. Your house is most likely well insulated, sealed and vapor lined so the living space is well insulated and separated from the attic space.

Old 05-30-13, 05:58 AM
In Canada and with a house built just 14 years ago I doubt you are noticing any difference due to the vents. It's probably just a seasonal difference. Your house is most likely well insulated, sealed and vapor lined so the living space is well insulated and separated from the attic space.
I would tend to agree, but some of those cookie cutter mass construction subdevisions are really a joke and in a lot of cases not up to code or just enough to get by.

Likely you are correct about it being more the seasons then the vents for the feeling, but I wouldn't discount the quality of insulation based on the age.

Old 05-30-13, 08:28 AM
Received 33 Votes on 30 Posts
The other questions would be the color and specifics of the new shingles and why they needed to be replaced after 14 years? Usually they last longer.

Modern shingles do a better job of reflecting the solar energy before it can get into the attic and if you selected a lighter color that would also contribute.

Bud

Old 05-30-13, 09:01 AM
The other questions would be the color and specifics of the new shingles and why they needed to be replaced after 14 years? Usually they last longer.
Cheap shingles (15 or 20 year I guess or less if available).

When my buddy moved into a new subdivision (mid to late 90's), they got just this. The contractor (of a related company) made a killing ~15yrs later as all the houses where due for shingles.

Old 05-30-13, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the replies all, much appreciated. The original shingles were black in colour and starting to curl. The reshingle we used Timberline Architecture shingles, much lighter colour.

Old 05-30-13, 06:40 PM
Received 33 Votes on 30 Posts
Lighter and newer shingles are probably the reason you feel a difference. Venting heat after it soaks through your roof is difficult and only partially effective. If your lighter shingles reflect 25% of that radiant solar heat, the venting process never has to deal with it.

As for the new vents, venting is a combination of high and low vent area, so they may have helped some or may not, depending upon the existing vent size and location. Insulation between the attic and the house is the better solution over venting. But the choice of lighter shingles was a good one. Give the wife credit.

Bud

Old 05-30-13, 08:49 PM
Thanks, will do Good points you have made.