Gutter Fix

Old 06-11-13, 06:46 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gutter Fix

Water has been seeping into a section of the interior wall along the back of the house when it rains, and I'm fairly certain that I've identified the problem. A length of flashing along the back gutter is sticking out further than the shingle, so instead of dripping off into the gutter, the water must be flowing back up underneath, in between the shingle and the flashing (see photos below). In the siding photo, taken during a rainstorm, the area of siding next to the window is fully wet, showing where the water is backing up and coming down from behind the gutter. Name:  exposed_flashing.jpg
Views: 2036
Size:  29.2 KBName:  house_siding.jpg
Views: 1676
Size:  22.5 KB
You can also see that the gutter is pulled slightly away from the side of the house in this area. What's the best fix for this type of situation? Will adding a couple extra gutter screws to pin the gutter back and push the flashing back so it no longer protrudes from underneath the shingle be enough? My house is older (built early 60's) and roof has a shingle-only drip edge.

I've already redone the drywall and insulation once (I originally thought the water was coming in through a seam in the siding) and now the sheetrock is wet inside again, so I realize I'm going to have to tear it out and do it again but I want to be 100% sure the problem is resolved before I mud and repaint.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-13, 07:04 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It's not the gutter of flashing fault on this one.
Someone installed the shingles compleatly wrong.
They should have been hanging over the edge of that drip cap by about 1".
Use hidden gutter hangers not gutter screws.
hidden gutter hangers - Bing Images
There about $1.00 at any box store.

Old 06-11-13, 09:28 AM
J
Okay good call, I will use the hidden gutter hangers.

Yeah, the reason I took the photo there is because that is the spot where the drip cap is protruding past the shingles. It's bent out from the side of the house there, so I think adding extra hangers will push it back up underneath the shingles. Along the rest of the edge, the drip cap is underneath them. At that point, can/should I install drip edge in addition, sliding it up between the drip cap and the shingles?

Old 06-11-13, 05:56 PM
J
Fixing the gutters is not going to fix this problum.
Need to redo the shingles Or have someone make you some L shaped metal flashing that can be slid up under the shingles and out over the gutters.

Old 06-12-13, 08:17 AM
J
Alright, went out to the hardware store last night and picked up some L-shaped drip edge like you mentioned. Here it is slid up underneath the shingle and felt. Still needs to be adjusted and snipped in places so it lies flush. Poured a bunch of water over the top and it seems to be doing the job, no drips coming from behind the gutters anymore. I'd have to take up the first row of shingles to put nails through it, I suppose. Does it need to be fastened to the sheathing in some way or is it fine just resting up underneath like this?Name:  with_drip_edge.jpg
Views: 9667
Size:  31.6 KB

Old 06-12-13, 10:51 AM
J
Putting one drip cap over another is not going to work.
It's now sitting out to far. Most likly it's now out behond the sheathing and water going to get in behind it and there's no way to nail it in place. It's not going to stay in place for long.