Excess water around house

Old 06-11-13, 09:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Excess water around house

MY wife and I bought a house 1 year ago. The house is 7 years old or so. We have had a lot of trouble with drainage in the yard, particularly around the house. The soil always seems to be damp if not soggy/with standing water around the house. We had the gutters and eves inspected and looked at them ourselves. Everything looks fine and we have the largest type of gutters. We have quite a few downspouts around the house, but all the water seems to stay there. We have a nice deep lot, but our house has very little side yard, which is where most of the downspouts are located. Please advise as to how to redirect, turn, twist, move, redirect so that they are not all pooling around the house.

I made a picture of what seems to happen (sorry, down in microsoft paint...its not a Da Vinci). Ask any questions that will help clarify. We have had problems with bugs lately and we believe it is due to the moistness and standing water (1/2" to 1")

We live in FL, so rain is a regular cycle each day or couple of days.

Thanks,
Anthony

Name:  House-gutters.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  20.8 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-13, 09:33 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
I live just north of Seattle where our rainy season is from mid September to mid June. (yes, it rained today.) My previous house had an underground stream running through the back yard. Even in August I could dig in my back yard and hit water in less than a foot. I suspect that you may be in the same kind of situation.

If at all possible you should install drainage piping for your downspouts and run that piping to a location where the run-off will not harm anything. If you have storm sewers in your area AND it is not prohibited that would be the best answer. You might be able to use perforated piping and also somewhat dry out your yard.

Old 06-12-13, 05:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Got some real pictures you can post of the house?
The grade should run away from the foundation.
French drain may be needed.
No mulch pilled up againt the foundation.
No flower beds forming ponds for water to collect near the house.

Old 06-12-13, 06:57 AM
Received 26 Votes on 24 Posts
The big concern is that it isn't just 1" of water, but that's the top of the water that is saturating the soil below. I assume you do not have a basement or you would probably have a huge fish tank. Does that long lot slope away from your house and how much?

Bud