Confused: gutters and colors for DYI

Old 06-12-13, 10:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Confused: gutters and colors for DYI

I have gutters on two sides of the house (front and back) and would like to add them to two other sides.

I got a few quotes. Pricy! But I know how much I need and what color (almond).

The thing is - both HD and Lowes only sell them in white and dark brown (Lowes). I want metal ones not vinyl.

I am confused; do people usually buy this stuff and paint it on the house? Is that what the builder did? Or - any clues where to get gutter material in colors? (shrug!) I am in DFW, TX...

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-13, 10:57 PM
Received 32 Votes on 24 Posts
Seamless aluminum gutters are the only way to go. They are a bit pricey but they last forever barring physical damage. It is doubtful that you can find them in the color that you want so painting after installation is probably going to be required no matter what.

Old 06-13-13, 04:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
I'd check around, you should be able to get seamless gutters made in most any color that aluminum siding is available in ...... but aluminum paints well with latex house paint, just make sure it's clean first.

Old 06-13-13, 06:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well, I have seen seamless advertised in some places in various colors, but was then considering the fact that if I had seamless on two sides and "regular" on front and back, that might look a bit... odd? Unless I was up for re-guttering the whole thing which seems like an overkill...

I guess I do not know about this business to understand: did the builder have them custom made? or painted? I would have thought this stuff was off the shelf somewhere, but I guess it could be a regular practice.

Old 06-13-13, 10:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you carefully inspect the gutter and downspouts you should be able to determine if it's a factory color or if it's been painted. Look at the top edge, especially where it bends back down.

Personally I wouldn't think it would look odd to have seemless on part of the house.... and I'd sleep better knowing that the seemless isn't likely to leak or come apart With the exception of way back when galvanized was the norm, all the builders I've painted for used the seemless gutters.

Old 06-13-13, 12:22 PM
Received 61 Votes on 56 Posts
We added onto our 40+ year old home a few years ago. The original gutters were in good shape, and we clean and maintain them periodically, so they still good. I hired seemless gutters installed, because I believe that is the only way to go today, and would challenge anyone to show me where the old and new come together. One of the joints is on a long wall, and if you look real close, at the right angle, and the sun at the right spot in the afternoon, you can see a slight difference in the sheen between the original gutter and the new one, but that's it. As mentioned, you should be able to determine if they came that color or were painted, so I would determine that first. If that is an original color, I would check with some more independent contractors in the area, or maybe direct with some of the buildeing supply houses. I know that one of the companies that I have used and referred to any number of times carries something like a half dozen colors in stock, and it seems to me that Rich has told me that he has at least that many more available as needed.

Old 06-13-13, 12:42 PM
Received 32 Votes on 24 Posts
C'mon guys, the term is seamless, not seemless. Seamless meaning no seams.

Old 06-13-13, 01:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Blame it on brain fade or typo - but either way I guess I don't get a passing grade

Old 06-13-13, 01:33 PM
Received 61 Votes on 56 Posts
Yup, seams that Furd is indeed korrect, so no passing graid for me neether. Maybe we should petishon two have it called "end to end" gutter or something like that. And who came up with gutter anyway? A gutter is where cows poop.