Water leak at bathroom vent cover

Old 06-17-13, 06:28 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
Water leak at bathroom vent cover

Hello all, The last few days we have had a lot of rain in central Florida where I live. Last night when I went in to the master bath I noticed water dripping from the edge of the vent cover. We have lived here since house was built in 82 and had the roof replaced in 2002 right before the 2004 hurricanes hit us so bad. I am getting ready to go on the roof and look to see what it might be. Never had any leaks at all so far, can anyone give me some ideas on this.

Fritoguy15

Old 06-17-13, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
It may have blow in through the vent depending on what type you have. Otherwise it likely leaked in around the flashing and ran down the vent tubing. If you see wet plywood around the opening, it would be a flashing issue most likely. Might want to pull the fan and motor and see if the tubing is wet on the inside. That would indicate blowing in through the vent.

Old 06-17-13, 10:35 AM
F
I was up on the roof and went ahead and sealed around the pipe with some Blackjack caulk. The pipe is pvc, maybe 1 1/2", wrapped with metal around it sticking up about a foot above the shingles. Also noticed an area that is bulging up from the plywood below the vent where the plywood seems very soft when you push on it, so I am afraid I may have some other damage as well to the plywood that may have gotten wet. I will check the inside of the vent pipe though as you suggested.

Fritoguy15

Old 06-17-13, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator
Ohhhh I was assuming you meant a bath fan...though you never said that at all.

You meant a plumbing vent! My bad. I've never seen an exposed vent pipe in a bath unless it was a gas station...lol.

I'm sure you found the problem. Might consider buying a replacement rubber rain collar that they sell for the metal and plastic flashings.... 3rd item down here...Plumbing vent pipe roof flashings from FAMOUS PLUMBING SUPPLY

Old 06-17-13, 12:00 PM
F
It is a bath fan which I failed to mention, and I did seal around the plumbing vent. I guess I will have to figure out where the bath fan exhaust goes, maybe just inside the roof?

Fritoguy15

Old 06-17-13, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator
Ohhhh that would be very bad. It needs to exhaust to the outside. Might be through a wall, a soffit (if you don't have soffit attic venting) or up through the roof. Sounds like a trip to the attic is in your future. Hope it's not too warm there.

Old 06-20-13, 09:14 AM
F
I got up early yesterday and took the attic vent cover off to look to see where the bath vent pipe went, it is a flexible hose like a dryer vent hose and ran from the fan over to the base of the attic vent cover I had removed. Once I saw that it was okay I got on the roof before the heat got to the shingles and any that I could pull up I resealed them all with some Black Jack. Now I'm just waiting to get some much needed rain to see if the leak is fixed. I will update once that happens.

Fritoguy15; chips4u&4me

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: