What should be included in a roofing estimate?

Old 06-20-13, 04:47 PM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What should be included in a roofing estimate?

My elderly father is in the process of filing a claim with his insurance company to have his roof replaced. When the roofing company writes up an estimate, what things should we make sure they include in the estimate (e.g. the type of shingle, flashing replacement, drip edge, etc).

Also, any advice in what to watch out for is appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

Old 06-21-13, 03:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Andy, I found out insurance companies are pretty thorough with roof replacement. It was explained to me that the roof is the most important protection of the house. Without it they would be replacing insulation, sheetrock, furniture, carpet, etc. etc., so they make sure it is done first class.
BUT, you should make sure they include complete tear off of existing roofing, replacement of drip edging, flashing around chimneys where possible or necessary, vent stack boot replacement, clean up, 4 nails per shingle according to manufacturer's specifications. I left out ice dam material, thinking he may be in NC, but depending on his location, they may need to install ice dam material. They do that sort of thing up north. They will probably only replace the roofing with like roofing....ie. 3 tab or architectural. You can talk to the installer and request an upgrade, but that will be above the insurance coverage.
Is the claim for hail damage, storm damage, etc???

Old 06-21-13, 05:52 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
How old is the roof that's on there now?
In addition to what Chandler mentioned, if this is going do be a complete tear off not just a repair and there is no drip cap on the roof now there not going to pay to have it installed. That also would be a well worth while up charge.
Make sure the quote includes new roof jacks, and all new flashing.
Do not go with some generic term like "flashing replaced as needed".

Old 06-21-13, 11:51 AM
H
Chandler, thanks for that info. Yes, it is for hail damage. He's planning on selling the house soon, so I'm not sure if he wants to spend more more money on better shingles. He's in Missouri, so would ice dam material be recommended there (I need to research to see what that is!).

Joe, the roof was put on in 1995, so it's getting up there. It will be a complete tear off. I need to research what a drop cap and roof jack are as well. Lot's to learn. Good advice on the wording. Can't be too detailed in a contract!

Thanks,

Andy

Old 06-21-13, 03:51 PM
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Andy, I doubt they would approve an ice dam material in Missouri.
I had what my contractor (friend) called hail damage. He suggested contacting my insurance company. I didn't know better, so thanks to him I paid my $500 deductible for a $3k roof, my friend got the contract, so he made money, and it is great!!

Old 06-22-13, 11:29 AM
H
joe, I was just reading about roof jacks, and now I'm confused about your comment "make sure the quote includes new roof jacks". As these are just temporary fixtures to make working on the roof safer, why would I need to be concerned about roof jacks at all?

Thanks,

Andy

Old 06-22-13, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Different parts of the country use different terms. Back in VA everyone referred to a roof jack as a boot.

Joe is talking about all the different variations of this...Google Image Result for http://www.spiralmfg.com/spiral_low_pressure/images/product_images/roof_jack.jpg or this https://www.google.com/search?q=roof...97%3B300%3B300

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: