Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

I need help determining the best way to tie in a patio cover.

Old 06-28-13, 12:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am adding a covered outdoor living/cooking/patio area on the back of my house. I have a dilemma with how to properly attach a patio cover to the house. The area is basically a U shaped area. My Carport sticks out on one side and the Master bedroom sticks out on the other. They are each their own Gable end. I don't see a way to tie in to both of these roofs without creating a butterfly roof on each side. I am afraid this will lead to leaks in the future. The area is 18 feet wide and 40 feet long that I want to cover. From the ground to the gutters on the existing roof is about 12 feet. Does anyone have a suggestion on how I could cover this patio? I will try to post a picture when I can.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-13, 12:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Going to need to post some picture for this one.

Old 06-28-13, 01:22 PM
Here's a picture of the area. The fascia on the left and the right are level with each other. The one in the center coming off the main roof is slightly higher, as you can see. What I wanted to was to build a long roof that would tuck underneath all of the existing soffits and it would have a very gradual fall away from the house straight back. I would use some type of metal roof instead of shingles. A builder suggested that the metal roof would leak installed wthout sufficient fall. I was thinking a fall of a foot or so across the 40 feet length.
Another builder suggested a drop roof off the main roof that would not be attached on either side, but that would allow rain down both sides which is not what I really want.

Attached Images  
Old 06-28-13, 04:46 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Goodness!! I don't see anyway to incorporate any kind of cover for this area with sufficient pitch without making it too low to pass under on the long end. You have the worst of all worlds in this design, trying to add another roof feature. It may be a free standing pergola type patio cover would work, but tying it in, IMO, would be a nightmare, and expensive, too.

Old 06-28-13, 11:02 PM
When looking at the pic view, you have two gables. If you turn it into one very large gable, you could cover the entire area and not worry about leaks. You could also add a third gable and install crickets in the two valleys and should not have any leaks if installed properly, treating the cricket areas as if they were flat roofs and installing the proper materials.

Old 06-29-13, 07:48 AM
What about something freestanding that is flat but still designed to drain properly?

Old 06-30-13, 12:29 PM
Flat and free standing would be pretty easy if you set the new roof above the existing roofs.

Old 06-30-13, 01:04 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I would introduce as little water as possible to the old roof structure. Free standing "entertainment" area without involving the existing building, either by attachment or drainage. Flat is OK, but really flat will cause problems. A slight BUR would help move the water to the edges where it can fall away. You can gutter it individually if you want and take the water away on the free end.