Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

Need advice on possibility of putting a nail through the roof

Old 06-28-13, 11:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi, I would like to get some input on a problem we have and the possible solution that we've been suggested. My parents had the roof done on their house several years ago, and when they did the job they ripped the roof vents from the roof and didn't bother repairing it correctly or tell anyone about it.

My parents remained oblivious to the non-functioning roof vents until very recently when they repaired the AC on the house. The AC guys did reconnect the vents, but since the vents were not reinstalled correctly, it shakes quite badly when it's on during the hot daytime.

The AC guys tell us that we should just put couple of long nails through the roof and the vent plating to fix it in place and stop the shaking and I'm not convinced that it's a very good idea. Would it be a decent fix to put the nails through and put tar or caulking over it? The roofing was done about 7 years ago. Thanks in advance for any response.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-13, 04:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Power vents are problematic at best. The motors tend to burn up quite a bit through the years. Without knowing how the vents were layered back in the roofing, driving a nail at random may not fix the problem and may create more problems. Would it be possible to post pictures of the vent installation from atop the roof? Please be careful if you decide to do the pictures. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 06-29-13, 07:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How do you know they were installed wrong?

Old 06-29-13, 10:53 AM
chandler/ Thank you, I'll try to take a picture later today.

joecaption1/ Bit of an assumption on my part and the AC guy's opinion, but I don't think the vent is supposed to move and buckle when you push it with your fingertip. Also, they disconnected the power cable to the fan and left the livewire hanging in our attic, so I assumed they did poor job in other aspects as well.