considering roofing my house?

Old 07-01-13, 04:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
considering roofing my house?

I have 3 layers of shingles on my house so I was told my next roof job will have to be a complete tear down. I have a 1200 sf house all one level and was quoted at 7000$ ! I was wondering if I did the tear down myself, how much money that would save me? I just cant afford that ...

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-13, 04:54 AM
I live in pacific nw so it rains a lot. I was told that I needed new roof when I bought house, but the shingles arent terrible and I walked up on it yesterday and nothing was cracked & no shingles were missing. Do you think it could last another winter so I can save up? What are the signs u need new roof?

Old 07-01-13, 05:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
You would have to ask the contractor to see how much he would knock off if you did the tear off. However, you would need to carefully coordinate with him on timing, as you can't leave your roof bare to the elements waiting on him to roof it. There's no way to tell if a roof can last another year. A third layer is normally not done, since the fasteners will barely reach the decking. Signs you need a new roof?? Leaks. Going up in the attic will be able to tell you what you need to know there.

Old 07-01-13, 07:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Forgive the ad in the web site but it shows some good pictures of what to look for when your roof is failing.
Signs of a Failing Roof
You may think your saving money but you would have to be in pretty good shape to strip off three layers of shingle, pick them all up and put them in a dumpster. Plus the rental of the dumpster, and the tipping fees at the dump.
Just a guess that's about 15 square of shingles per layer. Each square of shingles weighs about 225 LB. X 15 =3375 LB. X 3 = 10,125 LB. total.