Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

How to fix this hole and where to purchase replacement cover?

Old 07-01-13, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Here's my problem due to water damage.
Name:  fix-wall.jpg
Views: 1079
Size:  46.3 KB

First, how do I fix something like this? Second, does anyone know what kind of this siding or cover is call? Where do I purchase something like this to replace -- any online store?

Any help is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-13, 12:06 PM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Siding

It looks like Masonite siding. Is the siding the type that is in 4x8 sheets. If so, I would replace that entire sheet. Otherwise cut out a square or rectangle at the damaged area and replace. Look at your local building supply store. Buying on line will include a substantial shipping charge. Cut the old out so that the seams fall on studs.

Old 07-01-13, 12:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Back up and take a picture of the area above that gutter where the roof meets the siding so we can see why it failed.
That stuff was junk before it went up, it's just ground up cardboard with a film over it.
May be able to replace it with Hardee panels, Smart Board LP Building Products | LP SmartSide Panel Or T-111 as my last choice.

Old 07-01-13, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Might be able to use one of the panels they have now at HD or Lowes if you don't have a real builders supply. Truwood and Smartside are 2 that I know of.

Though they have real grooves in the surface...from your pic they almost look painted on.

Old 07-01-13, 02:04 PM
I don't believe that product is made any more. I think there was a class action suite on that stuff. It would suck up water anyplace the edge was cut and not resealed and around penetrations. You may be able to find a product with the same profile at your local lumber yard. It was less expensive than T-111.

Old 07-02-13, 07:14 AM
Many thanks for all the suggestions -- I appreciated. I've decided to replace it with a rectangle plywood because I could not find that stuff locally anymore and I needed it soon because it might rain again.

Old 07-02-13, 08:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 166 Votes on 147 Posts
If you preprime your patch piece [including all the edges!] and set it in a bed of caulking you should get longer life without leaking out of the repair job.