Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

Is this a DIY job (broken asphalt shingle with wood damage) or need a pro?

Is this a DIY job (broken asphalt shingle with wood damage) or need a pro?

Old 07-01-13, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Is this a DIY job (broken asphalt shingle with wood damage) or need a pro?

Hello all - I really appreciate all the help everyone provides on these boards. I'm a relatively new homeowner (about a year) and slowly learning to be more handy and do more repair projects myself.

I have a single broken asphalt shingle, which also has some damage to the wood underneath. It is on the edge of the roof near the gutter. I've attached two pictures, one with my index finger in it to help provide scale. Presumably this is from a branch or something similar falling on it, although we did not witness it so I'm not totally sure (nor has there been an obvious branch culprit on the ground... must have just been an unlucky chance event)

How do I properly repair this? I'm confident I can replace a single shingle, but I'm not sure what to do about the wood. Is there some type of repair or patch I can do to it? Or is it necessary to take up all the shingles on that piece of plywood and replace the whole thing? If the former, I can probably do it myself, if the later, probably need to call a pro. Thanks for all your help. Thankfully there's no evidence of any water leaks inside, but I don't want to let it degrade so I'll either fix this weekend or call a pro. Thanks again!

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-13, 10:35 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would remove the shingle, put some roofing cement there & replace the shingle.

Old 07-02-13, 04:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
I agree with Pulpo's repair method. Plan on the extra expense of replacing some of the sheeting when it comes time to reshingle the house.

Do the shingles not overhang the wood fascia? Is it feasible to install a drip cap at this time?

Old 07-02-13, 06:27 AM
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
As with the others, I agree it'll be a fairly easy fix. The hardest part will be finding the matching shingles.
I am however not seeing any underlay (aka ice shield, tar paper, etc).

Up here, we tend to put down a strip (generally 3ft wide, the length of the leading edge) of a tar paper or ice shield. It helps to prevent water damage and or ice damage if you live far enough north.
May not be a practice that far south.