Tear off roofing help

Old 07-11-13, 05:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tear off roofing help

My garage roof needs a tearoff. Im running into some trouble where the roof meets the house, basically im not sure how to attack this section. My house has vinyl siding. It looks like there is one long strip of flashihg, followed by old shingles and then it looks like they caulked in the crack.

My question is whats the best way to attack this, im a little overwhelmed with what to do?

Here are some pics of the problem

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-13, 05:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 229 Votes on 211 Posts
I would definitely remove all the siding, install new step flashing along that wall as the roof is shingled, then lay a WRB over the top of the step flashings, and over the entire wall. Better yet, you could get a roll of peel and stick, (like Grace bituthene) and stick it to the flashing and wall.

If the existing metal flashing is in good shape, leave it there as a temporary flashing, and put a WRB on the wall to overlap it. Tyvek, felt paper, etc.

Siding can all be reinstalled once you're done. Keep in mind a lot of water dumps out the j-channel at the bottom so provide plenty of flashing and extra clearance there for that water to escape. Do NOT caulk it up.

Old 07-11-13, 05:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Someone messed up the last time this was roofed.
There missing the step flashing.
Looks like your trying to take the siding off backwards. Start at the top not the bottom.
Not sure why you yanked out that outside corner like that, all you needed to do was pull the nails out to remove it.
Why is the siding not sitting in the J molding?
That J mold needed to be about 1" above the shingles not tight to them or caulked.
No kick out at the bottom to direct the water into the gutters.
No tar paper and Storm and Ice Shield under the flashing.
Roof Step Flashing Installation - Bing Images

Go on the web site of the shingle company your installing for complete direction on how it should have been done.

Old 07-12-13, 06:51 AM
thanks for the replies...there was underlayment under the flashing, as for the removal of the siding, its my first time doing it, so it can be added to the list of the things im probably doing wrong

So i will remove the siding and the J channel.

How do i go about removing that tar caulk?
Also in regards to adding the step flashing, where the roof meets the old wooden siding, the top part of the step flashing wont be completely flush with the wall, is this a problem?

Lastly, id like to put ice and water shield there, once thats put down,do i then put down the step flashing, followed by the shingles?

EDIT: I forgot to add, there are currently and have never been any leaks at this joint, the garage was built in the 60's, and there had been 2 layers of shingles

Old 07-12-13, 08:37 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
Lastly, id like to put ice and water shield there, once thats put down,do i then put down the step flashing, followed by the shingles?
The order should be:
Leave the old flashing if you want.
Ice and water shield. run up sidewall so it will be behind the siding.
Felt
Shingles
Step flashing on top of each row of shingles leaving 1" gap from roof.
Reattach siding

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 07-12-13 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-13-13, 04:03 PM
I got one half of the roof all torn off and I cleaned up the corner where the roof meets the house wall.

I had a horrible time trying to put down the ice and water shield by myself! I ruined almost half my roll...i have 2 questions relating to this.

1)whats the technique for putting down ice and water shield?
2) can i cut smaller strips of ice and water shield and overlap them? this would of made things much easier working by myself

Old 07-13-13, 10:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 229 Votes on 211 Posts
Ice and water shield usually had a plastic film backing that is in 2 halves. One usually overlaps the other, so you usually lay the ice and water in position where it will go, hold it so it lays flat, and start to pull off the top (overlapping one) half of the plastic first You can put a few nails or staples in it as needed. then you can either pull the plastic off the other half, or fold that half with the plastic still on it back onto the half that is stuck down, peel the plastic off and flop it back over. IMO it's easiest to leave it lay flat and just rip the plastic off. You usually have to peel it carefully and consistently or the plastic backing may start to rip and give you headaches.

If you are putting half on the roof and half on the wall, you'd fold it in half, peel the backing off and adhere it to the roof first. Then peel the backing off the other half and fold it up onto the wall.

The less seams you can make the better. But obviously sometimes there is a limit to how large of a piece you can work with, especially if you're working alone. Putting a few nails along the top can help you hold it in place if gravity is wanting to let it slide down. Then those nails can be removed so that you can pull the backing off of the other half.