What underlayment for torch down?

Old 07-14-13, 09:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What underlayment for torch down?

I'm going to be re roofing an addition on our house that is low slop and would like to use torchdown roofing. What type of underlayment should I use? I originally was going to use Ice and Water Shield, but don't think I want to put torch down on top of that. Or could I put Ice and Water Shield then put another type of underlayment on top of that and then the torchdown?

Thanks,
Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-13, 08:17 AM
Go to a roofing supply and ask for an S.B.S. or A.P.P. peal and stick system.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 08-08-13 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Removed email address, not allowed and for your protection
Old 08-08-13, 08:27 AM
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
What is the pitch of this new addition?

Are you planning to shingling on top?

Depending on the pitch, shingles may or may not work if the roof has too low of a pitch. Shingles would actually do more damage then good on a flat or near flat roof.

Old 08-08-13, 08:44 AM
choose wisely

Roofers start fires all the time. I recommend peal and stick for safety

Old 08-08-13, 10:03 PM
This is an od addition. Pitch is 2:12, it was a foreclosure and the bank had it reroofed and they put shingles on. I leaning toward peel and stick.

Bob

Old 08-11-13, 08:53 AM
You don't install torch down over ice and water shield. You install it over a fiberglass reinforced base sheet. I wouldn't recommend installing torch down yourself not unless you have the actually experience doing so. Go to your local roofing supply and get Liberty SBS Self Adhered system or something similar. That is definitely more DIY friendly. If you have any more questions ask away

Old 08-20-13, 04:33 PM
Was checking to see what Info I can find on the subject of torch down,.

I have a problem with my own home.

I presently re did my Deck by pulling up all old material. and even changed 1/2 plywood that was in place and exchanged with 5/8 plywood and used 3 inch Deck screws to attach everything. and make tight from the facia to the Deck. then I ran out of time and rains where going to come. I tarped of the roof and next day I went and they sold me a Flintastic SA Baseply. .

That has been on now for about 7 months, past its rated time to UV.

I was instructed by a so called roofer to go Torch down .

I went ahead an bought GAF ruberoid Torch down. but now reading the Flintastic SBS Base ply box.. it says no Hot mop, cold Appl and no torchdown.. So what should I do now.

The base ply Im going to have to cut back from the drip edge metal as it was take all the way 1/4 away from covering completely. I was thinking im going to have to trim that to expose the Metal drip edge before torch down takes place.

But im more worried about what to put on top of this SA baseply so that when I hire someone to torchdown the GAF product. it will not be a fire hazard and at the same time be a better grip.

Im looking for solutions. I did buy gaf glas 75 base sheet. but this will have to be nailed which I would like to get away from since I have no nails anywhere as of yet..

What can I do. to get a good seal and no fires?

Thanks in advance
looking4answers