Porch cover - flashing to wall.

Old 07-16-13, 04:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Porch cover - flashing to wall.

I am making a plan for a porch cover addition to my house. The house is stucco like 99% of the homes around here. The porch cover will have a metal roof which is also very common here. I have a question about how this metal roof is usually flashed to the stucco. The problem I have is that I have read about the correct way to do it (inserted under the stucco), but then I look around and have seen none that are done that way. I've seen probably 100 or so, all just stick on the surface (I can see the sealer on the top edge). The many I have seen are done with a flashing or endwall with a flared top edge, just adhered to the stucco with some kind of silicone or something. I understand that this is not the right way to do it, so why do I see none done that way? Could it be our low rainfall (about 9 inches per year)?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-13, 06:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 302 Votes on 275 Posts
It's common for EPDM roofs to end in a termination bar like that. It also preserves the integrity of the stucco and as a result is probably less likely to leak. And yes, you have less rain to worry about.