Flat roof: temporary fix worth it?

Old 07-24-13, 11:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Flat roof: temporary fix worth it?

I bought a house last fall with a flat roof over a big garage and bedroom. Itís a rolled roof that should have been replaced years ago. I knew that going in and planned on replacing it within the year. For a variety of reasons I have to delay the $7500 roof replacement until early next year.

Weíre in Phoenix and it doesnít rain much, and it didnít until months after I bought the house, so I didnít know until what kind of leaking issues Iíd have, although I knew thereíd be some. Itís a flat roof, after all. I fixed some old patch jobs and that seems to have solved the problem, but the roof is really in awful shape.

Given that the patches held, and seeing as most of the roof covers a garage, is it worth my spending a couple hundred bucks on elastomeric coating and making my teenager spend his weekend slapping on a couple coats as a temporary fix to get me through until spring of next year, or maybe even longer?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-13, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I'd say yes. Some of the coatings if applied correctly might even give you 2 years or more. They did one house up here as a community service project and actually rolled some Henry's product on a low sloped shingled roof (mobile or modular home as I remember). When I questioned it, they said it was a temporary fix until the funds were available in the program to do a re-roof, but the lead guy said they had done it before and it works ok.

It has to be clean and dry and try to avoid having any low spots where it will allow standing water.

Old 08-08-13, 07:52 AM
Power wash then do the emulsion fabric white coating system. Will last more than 10 years. Go to roofing supply and ask for 10 sq. Roll of polyester fabric and emulsion . Go to lowes and get blackjack Maxx.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 08-08-13 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Email not allowed.
Old 08-08-13, 07:57 AM
cost of material

Material i mentioned less than $600 for 400 sq. Ft. Garage will last over ten years