French drain question

Old 07-25-13, 08:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
French drain question

Please disregard the rats nest of electrical... that is being sorted out soon. Picture is used for reference for cinderblock and salt deposits forming.

My questions is about the depth of the french drain I need to install. From the image you can see that my basement has a 5ft tall concrete wall then 3 more feet of cinder block. Well from the second image you can see that where the two meet I get water coming in. I have used a latex based caulking (the tan stuff on the right side) which keeps the water out but where the screws go in to hold the the different electrical items to the wall, I still get water.

So on the outside of the house do should I just go down a 12 - 18" for the french drain and seal coat the cinder block on the outside to keep water from getting absorbed in? Or do I need to dig up the entire foundation, seal coat and put the french drain at the base of the foundation?

I already have gutters up but there is soil erosion that allows me to see about half of the second cinderblock from the outside. (You can almost see a perfect line of salt deposit across the cinderblocks at that height in the first image)

Name:  IMG_1135.jpg
Views: 1823
Size:  43.9 KB
Name:  IMG_1142.jpg
Views: 2414
Size:  33.3 KB

Thanks in advance,
Adam

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-13, 08:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would dig down 1' past top of concrete and apply foundation coating to the outside of the blocks ,at least 2 coats. there is a good chance there is a weeper tile at bottom of concrete. If there are no leaks past block/concrete I would put a 4" drain pipe with sock over it and cover with about a foot of gravel and backfill. insure the drain is positioned to insure flow to the end.