Asphalt shingle not staggered, water leaking... damage?

Old 07-26-13, 10:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Asphalt shingle not staggered, water leaking... damage?

Hi all! While cleaning my gutters the other week, I noticed a truly amateur mistake in the roofing on my house. For about a 3ft. section, the roofer didn't stagger the shingles, so there's a gap where water can just soak straight through! It defies logic, as the roofer had to install a half-shingle to remove the stagger, so it couldn't have been an accident. Anyway, the wood under the shingles in question is damp and water drips from below the fascia during really heavy rains. It has likely been this way since 2005 when the roof was redone. I'm going to fix it this weekend, and I'm worried about discovering a rotted sub-roof, fascia and/or soffit.

My question: If there are any signs of rotting should I tear it all out, or is there some critical threshhold of rot under which I can let it just dry out and have everything be fine.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-13, 10:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 151 Posts
Welcome to the forums Richard!

It really depends on what you find. Discoloration doesn't hurt the wood any, even mold [assuming it can be cleaned off] isn't a death sentence..... but if the wood isn't solid enough to hold a nail - it's got to go.

Old 07-26-13, 10:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There was suppose to be a starter strip installed first.
It's a row of shingles installed backwards. The first shingle gets cut where there's a small cut at the top of the shingle.
That way the rest will be offset.
You did not add your location to your profile but if your in an area where it snows most places have a code calling for a row of Storm And Ice Shield at the bottom of the roof.
Make sure the shingles hang over the edge by at least 1/2".

Old 07-29-13, 01:58 PM
I agree with Mark, since you are going to repair it anyway try and lift a shingle and see if you can hammer a nail in a little ways and see if wood is solid. If it is then would not worry about tearing anything out.
As joe mentioned if it is at the edge of the roof just turn one upside down ,if it is not then you could possibly cut a shingle and slide a piece under the gap and seal it on both sides between the bottom of the top shingle and the top of the bottom shingle. Basically make a sandwich with mayo or mustard in the middle